Here's another test run into the Swedish recipes I've been trying out. It was another success. My family loved this one too! It was finished off in no time.
This is a great yellow cake topped with a caramel almond topping. Sounds great, right! Honestly, it was pretty simple too.
Start by creaming butter and sugar.
Add in eggs and vanilla
Stir in flour mixture.
You can add a parchment circle on the bottom and spray your pan. You don't have to do the parchment paper, but the cake will come out so much easier if you do.
Pour in batter.
Bake cake. Once it is about 5-10 minutes from being done, start your simple almond caramel.
The cake should be baked enough, but not completely baked. You will want it to be able to hold the weight of the almond caramel, but not over bake when you are finishing baking the cake with the caramel.
Here's the caramel, ready to go.
Spread the almond caramel on top.
Return to oven and bake until golden brown. I turned mine on broil after just a minute or 2. Just to get it golden quickly.
Remove from oven and after a few minutes, remove from pan.
Isn't this such a beautiful cake?!?
I thought it would be tricky to cut with the caramel almonds on top, turns out, it was pretty simple.
We served our's with a heavy cream and plenty of blueberries.
It's a beautiful dessert.
You've got to try this!!
Almond Cake- Toscakaka
- 5 ounces butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar or other sweetened of choice, preferably granular.
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour You can also sub this for whole wheat pastry
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Prep pan. I used an 8 inch round pan. I sprayed it and cut a parchment piece to go in bottom of pan as well. This isn't a must, but makes removing the cake from the pan much more simple. Set aside.In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.Next cream butter and sugar in another larger bowl until lightly and fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix until blended. Add in half the flour mixture and mix again until almost combined. Add in milk and mix again. Finish with the last of the flour mixture. Each addition should take no more than 15-20 seconds to mix. If you mix more, it will over mix it. Pour batter into pan and place in oven. Let this bake for 15-20 minutes. This is kind of the tricky part. You will need to add the caramel almonds to the top and bake another 7-10 minutes. So the cake needs to be baked and set enough to hold the weight of the almonds, but not too done, or it will be dry after you add the almonds and bake. So about 5 minutes before your cake is ready for the almond mix, combine all topping ingredients to heavy bottom pan and turn on medium heat. Cook these about 5 minutes and spread across top of cake. Return cake to oven and continue to cook until cake is golden brown. I needed mine to brown a little more quickly as my cake was about done, so I turned the oven on broil. If you choose to do this, make sure and keep an eye on the cake. It will brown quickly!!Remove from oven and let it cool about 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and continue to cool until you are ready for it. We served our's with a simple dollop of whip cream and blueberries. It was delicious!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!