This simple recipe is full of flavor and so healthy! It also is a great make ahead side or meal. Perfect for meal prep.
Start with the quinoa. I used a red, but any type or color is great. Make sure and rinse it well. I use a 2 to 1 ratio with water to quinoa when cooking. So, bring 2 parts water to a boil. To this, add 1 part quinoa with a dash of salt and cover. Turn down heat to low and cook. Mine took about 15 minutes to cook. Let it sit a few minutes, remove lid and fluff with fork.
I decided to blanch my broccoli. I love the bright green color! Do blanch any veggies, start by bringing water to a boil. Prep your ice bath so it’s ready as soon as the broccoli has been boiled. Drop broccoli into boiling water and let it boil for a less than a minute, maybe 30 seconds. Remove immediately and put into ice water. Let it cool in ice until the broccoli is chilled. Drain well.
Combine the quinoa with broccoli, dried cherries, golden raisins and chopped walnuts.
The dressing is a mix of fresh lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt. Pour over mixed salad and top with goat cheese.
Broccoli Quinoa Salad topped with goat cheese
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 4 cups broccoli, blanched
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon honey, or sweetner of choice
- Cook quinoa, per instruction on package. I use a 2 to 1 ration. 2 parts liquid to 1 part quinoa. In this recipe, I use water for the liquid. when finished cooking, fluff with fork and set aside.Blanch broccoli. This isn’t necessary, it’s for color only. I prefer to do it. So add broccoli to boiling water Cook for about 30 seconds and immediately drop broccoli in ice bath. Once it’s chilled, drain and set aside.In small jar, combine all ingredients for dressing. Shake and set aside. In larger bowl, combine all salad ingredients and drizzle with dressing. Mix to combine, carefully. Then once you plate salads, top with goat cheese. If you don’t like goat cheese, leave it off or add another of your choice.Next, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!