Are you ready to mix up your typical oatmeal breakfast? How about a Coconut Quinoa with Caramelized Pineapple?? Oh yeah, you will want to try this.
Quinoa- a superfood
Quinoa is a member of the amaranth family and is naturally gluten free. That means most of us can enjoy it. It is high in protein, fiber, iron and manganese among other nutrients. Want to know what makes it even better? It contains all 9 amino acids. I guess that is why they call it a superfood or a super grain. It really does have it all. It is easily accesible and generally accepted by most people.
Although we usually think of quinoa as a savory food, it also lends itself to sweet food as well. This coconut quinoa with caramelized pineapple is a great example.
Not ready for the 100% quinoa?
Now, let me say, if your family is not sold on quinoa yet, careful introducing a breakfast like this. In fact, I would almost suggest trying it as a small addition with your typical oatmeal first. You can do this by adding it to your cooking liquid about 10 minutes before you add in your oats, as it takes longer to cook than oats do. So, here is what a recipe would look like with the smaller amount of quinoa- Heat 1 cup milk and 1 cup water over medium heat. Once it is heated, add in 2 tablespoons quinoa and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let this continue to cook for about 10 minutes then add in 1/2 cup regular oats. Continue to cook until oats are tender. Sweeten as desired.
Making your quinoa breakfast
Start by heating your coconut milk. I like to do this over a medium heat. To this add the quinoa, shredded coconut and salt. Once it is brought back up to temp, reduce heat to medium low. Continue to cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. Let this sit for about another 7-10 minutes.
While it is resting, start the toasted coconut and caramelized pineapple. I like to use unsweetened coconut for this. I am always looking to cut our sugar and calories where I can. Bob’s red mill has a great unsweetened coconut I love. To toast it, heat oven to 375 degrees. Place coconut flakes on baking sheet. Bake until the coconut is golden brown.
This is a simple method which is really pretty healthy. Start with fresh pineapple if possible. Heat butter over medium heat until melted and hot. Add pineapple and maple syrup. Cook until the pineapple is tender and caramelized. Mine took about 5 minutes.
This recipe is great for batch cooking. Double or triple the recipe and when it is cooled, store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Coconut Quinoa with Caramelized Pineapple
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 1/4 cup coconut milk I used the lowfat, but you can use full fat if you want.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut If you want to use sweetened, that will work well also!
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- maple syrup I used this as a sweetener for the quinoa. This will be a personal preference. 2 tablespoons are also used with the pineapple as well.
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple chunks This is better fresh, but you can use canned if that is all you have.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup shaved coconut, unsweetened optional
- Heat coconut milk over medium heat. Add quinoa, shredded coconut and salt, stir. Turn heat to medium low and continue to cook for about 7-10 minutes. Turn off heat and cover quinoa. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.While it is resting, start caramelizing the pineapple. Heat butter in pan over medium heat. Once it is melted and hot, add in pineapple. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Continue to cook another 5-8 minutes until the pineapple is tender and caramelized. Keep an eye on it while it is cooking, all the sugars can burn pretty quickly.If you are wanting use toasted coconut, toast it while you are working on the pineapple. I like to bake mine on a baking sheet at 375 until golden brown. I love to use it for garnish because I think it is so beautiful!By now your quinoa should be ready. Taste it and add your maple syrup accordingly. You can also use honey or brown sugar if you prefer as a sweetener. Once it is as sweet as you want, divide into bowls. Top with caramelized pineapple and toasted coconut. Serve immediately!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!