This is another simple recipe from the sweet and spicy pulled pork I posted last week. The Crock Pot is so simple to use. Put the pork in first thing and it’s ready to throw together that evening. The cornbread casserole bakes pretty quick, so this is actually a nice pretty quick dinner. I make my own cornbread, but if you want to, skip these steps and used a boxed mix.
Mix wet and dry in separate bowl.
Mix only to combine, being careful not to over mix. Nothing worse than tough cornbread.
You can see from the photo, mine isn’t perfectly smooth.
Pour half the batter into the prepared pan.
Next is the pulled pork. Spread as evenly as you can.
Last is the final layer of batter. It doesn’t need to completely cover the top.
Sprinkle with cheese, if you are using. If you are using jalapenos and onions, put them on first, then the cheese.
Here’s what mine looked like.
Bake until it is golden brown and cornbread is baked through.
Remove from the pan while it is still hot. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Cornbread/Pulled Pork Casserole
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapenos optional.
- 1/2 cup chopped onions optional
- 1-2 cups grated cheese we used a pepper jack, but you could also use a cheddar. This is also optional.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 pan, by buttering or spraying. Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in bowl and set aside.In another bowl, mix honey, eggs, milk and oil. Mix well. Combine with dry ingredients. Mix only to combine. Pour half the batter in bottom of pan. Add pulled pork on top of the cornbread batter, spread as evenly as you can. Add the last half of batter on top of pulled pork.If you choose, add grated cheese and jalapenos on top. There are other add ons you can do as well, cilantro, onions etc. Bake for 35-45 minutes, checking the center for doneness. Remove from oven and serve it piping hot!My husband loves it with tabasco, if you like spice, try this!Now, it back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Sweet and Spicy Pulled Pork
- 1.5-2 pound pork roast I used a sirloin roast, it was on sale.
- 1.5 cups onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper If you aren't into spice, don't add this. If you only like a little spice, use 1 teaspoon.
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- salt I use this as a variable at the very end. It will thicken and intensify. I prefer to salt after it's done.
- Combine everything in the crock pot. You can use a separate bowl, but I like to not have another dirty bowl, so I do it all in the crock pot. Mix everything on the side of the roast.Then spoon it over the roast.Turn the crock pot on high for 6 hours, or low for 8-10 hours. About 30 minutes before it is done, shred the pork and mix well with the sauce. If it looks a little dry to you, add about 1/2 cup water and mix well. The fat you have in the roast will play a big role in how much liquid you will have. Serve either on rice, like we did, or on a hamburger bun. Either way, it's perfect!! You can also top the sandwich with coleslaw. I used an apple slaw. Or top it with cheese, onions etc.Only one pot for cleanup too. Does it get better?Now, sit back and enjoy, you deserve it!