I love pasta, but don’t eat it very often anymore. Because of this, it’s always a treat when I do, and I totally enjoy it. A lot. This was actually my breakfast, and it was awesome.
I had some veggies that needed to be used up and couldn’t think of a better option than in a pasta. I also noticed I had ricotta in the fridge….it was meant to be.
Here’s how it started.
Saute onions and squash in olive oil for several minutes.
Start you pasta. I used angel hair, I was looking for a quick meal. Angle hair is always my go-to pasta when I need a quick meal. Because it cooks so quickly, make sure not to boil it to mush. When it is al dente, drain, rinse and set aside.
To the squash, add in mushrooms and garlic. Continue cooking.
Last is spinach. It only takes a minute or 2 to wilt.
Here’s what the veggies look like.
Add in ricotta, milk , parmesan and spices.
Add in pasta and toss.
Sit back and enjoy.
You deserve it.
Creamy vegetarian pasta
- 3 cups cooked pasta, your choice I used angel hair as I needed a quick meal
- 4 cups veggies of choice I used yellow squash,onions, zucchini, spinach and mushrooms. You can choose any you like.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano fresh would have been great, but I only had dried
- 1 teaspoon basil again, fresh would be best
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2-3/4 cup lowfat ricotta
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1/4-3/4 cup milk of choice. this is for consistency desired, so you choose how much you add.
- Cook pasta and set aside. Unless you are a multi tasker, then cook it will you are making your veggies. Heat pan you are sauteeing veggies in. Add olive oil and heat this as well. Next is your veggies. I don’t cook these for too long as I like crunch to my veggies. I let mine go about 5-7 minutes. If you like your veggies softer than this, cook them longer. I would go any longer than 15 minutes though, your veggies will get too mushy. In the last few minutes add the minced garlic to mix. I don’t add it at the beginning because it can burn pretty easily. I also add the spinach at the same time. Spinach only takes a minutes to wilt.Next add in your ricotta, Parmesan, milk and spices. Mix these well and just heat it up, you don’t need to cook this at all. Remove from heat. Stir in pasta. Mix well, and plate immediately. I topped it with a little more parm, but that’s up to you. I also like to squeeze a little lemon on there, again this is optional. All together this meal takes about 20 minutes to make. It’s a perfect busy weeknight meal.Sit back and enjoy, you deserve it!