Falafel are delicious. I love them. They were the perfect addition to the mezze platter I was working on the other day. I tried to make them even healthier by skillet frying them in just a little oil instead of the deep fat fry. They were still amazing.
Start by pulsing ingredients in food processor. You have to be careful here. You want to combine, but not turn it to mush!
After it’s blended well, cover it and get it into the fridge for at least 2 hours.
I formed mine into small patties using a portion scoop. I like the consistency.
Fry each patty until they are a deep golden brown.
I then placed the patties on paper towels. Just to remove more fat, if possible.
Next, I sat back and enjoyed. I definitely deserved it!!
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 cup rough chopped onion
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt- variable
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup flour- plus 1 tablespoon
- Add chickpeas, cilantro, parsley, onion, garlic, cumin, red pepper, and salt to food processor. Pulse until ingredients are combined. Don’t turn it to mush, just mix. Put baking powder and flour in food processor. Pulse again until mix, careful again not to overmix.Move mixture to fridge, and let it chill at least 2 hours. Normally falafel is deep fried. I went for a little healthier version and skillet fried it in a little oil. Form the falafel into balls. I used a portion scoop to keep everything the same size. Flatten slightly. Heat heavy bottom skillet, I used cast iron. Add oil once pan is heated. When the pan is heated, add falafel. Cook until the falafel is a deep golden brown on each side. We served ours on a mezze platter with veggies, labneh and naan. You could definitely do the same and your life would be so much better!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.