Are you looking for a quick meal, one that takes about 15 minutes? This is it. Plus, with so much basil coming on right now, I need every recipe I have to use it up! Lemon basil is one of my favorite flavor combos, so we will be eating plenty of it. I just LOVE the combo!
This is a lightened up version as well. I used to make this with plenty of sauce and so much heavy cream and butter. You will notice on the photos, this has sauce, but only enough to cover the noodles. With the lemon and basil, it has strong enough flavors I don’t think you need too much sauce. It is perfect if you want a HEALTHIER version of the original.
Start by boiling your pasta.
While it’s boiling, chop the garlic. Squeeze the lemons also.This is part of a quick meal, make use of all your time. it helps things to move quickly.
Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Drain.
Lemon Basil Pasta
- 1- 1 1/2 pounds dry pasta of choice.
- 12 cups water, boiling salt with 2 teaspoons of salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2-2/3 cup fresh lemon juice this will be a personal choice.
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk you can use evaporated milk, if you want to cut calories.
- 3/4 cup grated Italian cheese mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-5 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- Add pasta to boiling, salted water. Cook, stirring occasionally until cooked al dente. Before draining, reserve 1/2 cup of cooked pasta water. Drain and rinse.In the same pan you boiled the pasta in, let's save on dishes, add the butter. Once it is melted and heated, add in the minced garlic. Cook the garlic for just a minute or 2, you don't want it to burn. Next, add in the lemon juice and heavy cream. Add back in the pasta and pasta water. Remove from heat and add in cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Last is the basil. I reserve some to top it with as it is so beautiful!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!