Lemon and blueberry is a combo that’s hard to top in my world. I love it so much. Although, if I were being completely honest, blueberry and any berry are on the top of that list. They are perfect together.
I love to make cheesecake bars instead of traditional cheesecakes. I’m not exactly sure why, but I love bars. These are made just like a traditional cheesecake though. Make your crust, bake. Make the filling, top crust and bake. That’s it.
Because I cook the berries for the swirl, you will need to do this first, then it will have awhile to cool before you need it. Cook the berries and sugar in pan. They will start burst and start to soften. You really want these to be cooked pretty well.
Next add in your cornstarch slurry. Add a small amount at a time until it is thickened to consistency you are looking for. I wanted mine to look like the photo below. I used a little over one tablespoon. This is a variable, because I don’t know how much liquid your berries will release when cooked.
Next it goes in the food processor or blender. Its easier to make the swirl if the blueberry sauce is pretty smooth. Now, set it aside and let it cool.
So, let’s start with the crust, which is graham cracker. Pulse your graham cracker crumbs with the sugar and butter in food processor.
Pour into the sprayed pan and press firmly across bottom. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Drop oven temp to 325 degrees.
Next up is the lemon cheesecake filling. Start by zesting those lemons.
Blend your softened cream cheese and sour cream until completely smooth. To this, add in the zest, lemon juice, sugar and vanilla.
Next up is the eggs. Incorporate, but be careful not to over mix. Anytime you add in the eggs to a recipe, that is the time it’s easy to over mix and end up with a tough product.
Last is the milk. Again, just fold to incorporate.
Pour over crust
Drop the blueberry sauce into cheesecake by spoonfuls. I was dropping about a tablespoon per drop.
Then just start swirling. It will take a minute to get it all incorporated. Isn’t it beautiful?
After it cooled, I moved it to the fridge and let it set overnight. I really think this is best. It lets it firm up really well.
If you want to make this gluten free? simple. Just sub out the regular graham crackers for gluten free. It tastes just as good!
lemon cheesecake bars with blueberry swirl
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces butter, melted
Lemon cheesecake bars
- 3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temp and soft. I used reduced fat.
- 1 cup lowfat or nonfat sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup nonfat or light milk
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- heat berries and sweetener in a pan on medium low heat. Let them boil a minute or 2. They should soften at this point. In small bowl, make cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch and water. Slowly stir this into your cooking blueberries. Mix it the whole time you are adding it. Don't add the whole mixture in. Only add about 1/4 at a time. Mix it completely before adding more. You want it to thicken to about the consistency of jam, not jelly. So, don't make it too thick.Once it is the consistency desired, add it to small food processor. Blend until fairly smooth. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Mix graham cracker crust ingredients. Press into 9×13. Bake about 10 minutes until lightly golden browned. Remove from oven and set aside until filling is ready.Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees.Blend cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. To this add sugar and mix well again. Next up is eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk. Mix until well, combined. Pour over crust. Take blue berry swirl filling. Drop by spoonfuls randomly over cheesecake. Take a toothpick and swirl though. Bake until lightly set and just a little jiggly. Remove from oven and let it cool completely. It's best made the day before and refrigerated overnight.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!