This is a great weeknight dinner. It come together quickly and tastes great! If you need to, throw it in the crockpot in the morning before you head out for the day. It will be ready when you get home that evening!
One way I’ve found to speed up dinner when I’m cooking chicken is to grind it up in the food processor. It cooks about 3 times as fast as opposed to cutting up the chicken and cooking the chunks. So, if you are in a pinch, grind it up!
The food processor will blend that up in about a minute flat!
Next, add it to you pan. I used my enameled cast iron. I like using a heavy bottomed pan, it keep things from burning when they are cook. Plus it’s great for evenly distributing heat. I also added a touch of olive oil to pan, about 1 tablespoon.
I used almost all canned and prepared foods for this dish.
After the meat is almost done, add in spices and minced garlic.Mix well.
Dump in your veggies.
Mix and let this cook for as long as you have time for. I let mine go about 45 minutes. I had other things I was working on, I just kind of let it go.
Here it is, nice and thickened.
I served mine with avocados, lime cabbage and tomatoes.
There are also of plenty of other things you can top this with- red onions, olives, cheese, sour cream, cilantro etc.
It could also be served over rice, lettuce or even chips.
This dish is versatile!! I hope you will love it as much as we do!
Easy Mexican Skillet
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 15 ounce black beans, drained
- 2 cans rotel I used original, but you can use whatever kind you like!
- 2 cups corn frozen or canned. I prefer frozen
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder Mexene is my personal favorite
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup water Only add if you have time to let it reduce. If you don't skip this.
- To speed up this meal, I ground my chicken in the food processor. You don't have to do this, but it definitely helps the meal come together more quickly! I f you don't want ground chicken, cube your chicken.Heat pan for cooking over medium heat. You can use a skillet, but I switched to my enameled cast iron at the last minute. Heat oil. Add chicken to pan and cook. Once it's almost cooked all the way, add minced garlic and seasonings.Mix this and continue to cook for a few minutes.Add in remaining ingredients. Stir well and let this cook, stirring occasionally, until you are ready. I let mine go about 45 minutes. It was thickened, and flavors well developed. Yum!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!