Okay, technically this is a muesli “style” cereal. I have made a few adjustments to make it more to my liking. I sweeten mine slightly, add a touch of oil and bake until toasty.
Start with old fashioned oats. This will be your base. To this you can add anything you feel inclined to add. I added pepitas, pecans and unsweetened coconut. Other add ins could be craisins, raisins, any other nuts or seeds etc.
Next, drizzle with a touch of maple syrup and some type of fat. I used melted butter, but olive oil, coconut oil or even canola would have been fine.
Make sure and mix well at this point. Although it is a very small amount of sweetener and oil, you will want to make sure and get as much coverage as possible.
Bake until golden brown. I love the toasty, nutty flavor it gives.
Allow to cool.
I love mine layered with fresh fruit and vanilla nonfat almond milk. Yum!!
This is the perfect way to start your day! So healthy, quick and totally nutritious!
Great for a busy morning and still maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Here I am, post photo shoot. My youngest loves to grab sneak shots of me. Stuffed cheeks and all . :)Both my boys do a lot of the photography for me. Any process shots you see with me in them, they have taken. Not bad for a 15 and 11 year old, right??
Muesli Style Cereal
- 4-6 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup nuts of choice I used pecans. optional
- 1 cup pepitas optional
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut optional
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup amount is optional
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter You can use any other fat of choice. Coconut oil, olive oil or even canola oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.In large bowl, combine oats and whatever add ins you are using. I mixed my oats, pecans, pepitas and unsweetened coconut. Drizzle with maple syrup and melted butter. Mix well!Spread on baking sheet.Bake until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.I love mine served with fresh fruit and nonfat vanilla almond milk.It can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. If you want to store it longer, or make a big batch you won't use right away, freeze!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!