I’m not a huge steak fan. Truth be told, if I’m going to eat steak it’s always a filet. I love how tender it is, and no fat. I know, I know. All the flavor is in fat and bones. I get it. I just prefer filet. I had to change my preferences the other day though, because these New York strips steaks were pretty amazing. We bought the beef from our local source and these steaks were awesome.
I always start my steaks by bringing them to room temp. It makes a consistent grilling so much easier. So, bring to room temp.
Then I sprinkle with a rub made of equal parts salt and garlic powder, half part ground black pepper, and quarter parts paprika and ground red pepper.
While the steaks were coming to room temp, I made the chimichurri.
It’s all done in the food processor, so it’s super fast. I used cilantro, parsley, minced garlic, red onion, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
Pulse until it well blended and broken up.
Heat grill pretty hot. Mine was about 450 degrees.
Put the steaks on grill at an angle. After 3 minutes turn to the other angle. This is for those lovely grill marks. Flip, and do the same thing on the other side.
Remove from grill, cover with saran wrap and let them rest about 7-10 minutes.
I sliced ours about 1/4 inch thick. You can make yours thicker then that if you prefer.
Top with chimichurri then enjoy.
I roasted some cauliflower steaks and asparagus for sides. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.
Isn’t this a lovely balanced meal??
New York Strip Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- 2 new york strip steaks Make sure they are good quality and have plenty of marbling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, cayenne
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt this is a variable. If you need more, add it
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For your steaks- bring them to room temp. Mine took about 30 minutes. Combine Seasoning and rub over steaks. We generally like our food kind of salty. If you don’t, don’t use all the rub. Heat grill to 450-500 degrees. Places steaks on grill at an angle. Grill for about 3 minutes, the change angle. This is for marking. Flip steaks and so the same thing on the other side. Remove steaks from grill, and wrap in saran wrap. Let them rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice in 1/4 inch pieces or thicker. Top with chimichurri!
- For the chimichurri sauce- Cut ends off parsley and cilantro, keeping leafy ends in tact. Don’t be too particular about this, it all gets thrown in food processor. Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse until relatively smooth. Mine took about a minute. This holds well for several days, so make it ahead if you need to.