This is such a great, quick meal perfect for fall. Plus, it's a one dish meal, it's good all the way around. I love this mango and jalapeno sausage I get at Costco and used it for this meal. I used purple cabbage, but green will work just as well. I chose it for the color.
Start by chopping all your veggies.
Start by heating a heavy bottom pan and just a touch of oil. Add in your chopped cabbage, and sausage.
Saute them for several minutes before adding in the apples. Put the lid on to help steam the veggies and sausage. It helps it to cook even more quickly.
After just a few minutes, I drizzled everything with a bit of balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. I also sprinkled with a touch of salt as well. I love the sweet and salty combo!
Let it steam for several minutes, the cabbage will start to soften and the apples will start to cook.
I think it is so beautiful. Look at those vibrant colors.
Again, if you prefer the green cabbage, you should use it.
Also, if you prefer the apples to not take on the color, you can always saute them in another pan. I just didn't feel like doing dishes, so one pan it was!
Spicy Sausage with Cabbage and Apples
- 1 T tablespoon olive oil
- 3-6 chicken sausage links We used a brand we buy at Costco, it's a mango jalapeno and so good! You can use your sausage of choice.
- 4-6 cups chopped cabbage I used purple, you can use green if you prefer and it's what you have.
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup this is a variable. If you want to add a little more, you can do it! Little less, you can do that as well.
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Again, another variable.
- salt, to taste
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add in olive oil and heat oil.Add cabbage and sausage to pan. I kept them on separate sides of the pan, that way I could keep an eye on them and cook them individually. Cook for a few minutes, then add in apples.Continue to cook for several minutes, then drizzle all with the maple syrup and balsamic. Mix well, in each individual section. I kept them separated to the end of cooking time. Cover and let them cook, steaming for a few minutes, until veggies are tender. It's best served immediately!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!