Oh strawberries…. you have my heart all summer long. Well, until late summer, then sorry- I break up with you.
Right now strawberries are so good, and I’m eating tons of them! This cake is such a great way to incorporate them into a healthier dessert. I used all wheat flour, and also reduced butter and sugar. Although it’s exactly considered healthy, it is healthier. I am also a firm believer in moderation too, so a little dessert here and there is not going to hurt.
Strawberry Skillet Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar. I used granulated, but coconut sugar would work as well. Honey and maple syrup work as well, but your cake won't have the same consistency.
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour you could of course use a white all purpose if you prefer. If you you are hesitant about using wheat flour, this is a great recipe to start with. It's super moist, and no one noticed the wheat when I made it.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lowfat or fat free sour cream You can also use a nonfat plain greek yogurt if you prefer.
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped I quartered mine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Butter or spray a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Or you can do I like I did and do a 6 inch plus the 4- 3 inch pans. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl and set aside.In another, larger bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, mine took about 3 minutes. Add in eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Mix well. Next is dry ingredients. Mix to combine, careful not to over mix. Next FOLD in strawberries. You don't want to break them up, so fold carefully. Again, fold only to combine. Pour into prepared pans. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean, just make sure you aren't inserting into a strawberry, you won't get an accurate reading :). My small pans took about 15-18 minutes. The 6 inch took about 35 minutes. Time will vary depending on thickness of cast iron, heat of oven (no they don't all run the same temp) and amount of batter in pan.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.