This is a great, lighter version of a copycat recipe from Olive Garden. Although heavy cream is totally delicious, it’s also high in calories, so instead I used a small amount of cream cheese to make this a creamy dish what it is.
Start by chopping you veggies, in this recipe, I used bell peppers (red for me, but any color will do), onions, zucchini and if you are using regular sized tomatoes, chop those as well.
Heat olive oil in pan. Once it is heated, add the chicken slices to the oil.
Flip the chicken and continue to cook.
Remove the chicken and add the veggies to the heated pan.
Cook for a few minutes until veggies are tender, but still firm. The tomatoes will burst in a few minutes creating the liquid for the sauce.
Add in cream cheese and water. You can also use a stock if you prefer.
Mix until creamy, careful not to break up the veggies.Add more liquid if you choose, this will depend on how thin or thick you want your sauce. Add in spices, mix well.
Add back in chicken and mix until completely coated.
We served our’s with a tri color quinoa. You could also serve it with noodles or rice if you prefer.
This is such a great, relatively simple comfort meal. With the changes made, it is even healthy! Great flavor and healthy= winning at life.
Creamy Tuscan Chicken with Zucchini
- 1-1.5 pounds chicken breast, cut in pieces what size pieces you use is a personal choice. I used about 1 inch x 4 inches. If you want smaller than that, you should.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 6 ounces cream cheese I used full fat, it's what I had, but generally prefer a low fat version.
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or, use 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme.
- water add to consistency you desire. You can also add in a veggie or chicken stock if you prefer.
- Heat large, heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add in olive oil and heat. Place chicken in pan, salt and pepper lightly. Cook on one side, then flip and continue to cook on the other. Mine took about 4-5 minutes per side, it's pretty thin. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add veggies to pan. Cook until lightly tender. You don't want them to be mushy. As the veggies cook, the tomatoes will burst and release the liquid for the sauce. Push veggies to the side of the pan, leaving room in the middle of pan. In the center, add in the cream cheese and herbs. Mix carefully so you don't break up the veggies. Add water to sauce if you want it more thin. I added about 1/4 cup to mine. You can also add in stock if you prefer. Taste and salt and pepper if it needs this. It will be a personal preference here. Add back in chicken and mix well. Coat, let it all heat. We served our's with quinoa. You could always serve it with noodles or rice if you prefer.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.