Cozy Sausage and Ravioli Soup
This simple to make soup is hearty and full of flavor, perfect for these cold evenings!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage you can use mild too if you prefer.
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt this is a variable, you will taste towards the end and decide if more is needed.
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper optional, but we love the kick!
- 4 cups spinach or kale
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups zucchini sliced
- 1 package ravioli or tortellini We use the family size cheese ravioli, but use ravioli or tortellini of choice.
- 1 15 ounce can evaporated milk
Heat large pot or enameled Dutch oven over medium heat until it is hot. Add in your sausage, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring to break up until the sausage is no longer pink. Add in water, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper if you are using to pan. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Allow to boil for about 7-10 minutes. Add in mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini. Allow to continue to boil another 5-10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.Add in ravioli and cook another 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add in your can of evaporated milk. The soup is ready to serve!!We love it with some type of bread (of course we are carb lovers). A hearty whole grain is perfect, or ciabatta, french bread, or even pita like we served it with here. This soup is best the day it is made, but can also be reheated. Just know the pasta will not hold well with the reheating. My hubby didn't mind that though, and he enjoyed it the day after!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!