Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Bacon
The best part of this recipe, well aside from the amazing flavor, it is prepared in a pressure cooker and so simple to make!!
Servings: 4 servings
- 4-6 strips bacon, cut in small chunks I love to use a thick cut bacon, but use whatever you prefer!
- ½ cup onion, minced or small chop
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried sage optional, but such a great compliment to pumpkin!
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg optional, but such a great compliment to pumpkin!
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock. I used chicken stock as it is what I had on hand, but veggie stock is really good too.
- ¾-1 cup pumpkin puree I love a good amount of pumpkin, so I used one cup. If you want a milder flavor, go with ¾ cup. Also, I used canned and it was awesome. If you prefer to roast and use homemade, go for it!
- ¼ cup parmesan plus more for topping
Turn your pressure to saute. Add in your bacon and cook until it is crispy. Well, unless you like it a little softer, then cook it to that consistency. Remove the bacon from the pressure cooker, but leave the rendered bacon fat in. Add onions to the cooker and saute for about 3-5 minutes. At the end of the time, add in your garlic. Saute the garlic for about a minute. Add in seasonings, stock, pumpkin, rice and parmesan. Place lid on pressure cooker and seal. Making sure the pressure on the lid is closed. Set to high pressure for 8 minutes. Cook and once the time has gone off, quick release the pressure. Once it is released, remove the lid carefully. Give the risotto a good stir. If there is too much liquid still return to saute to finish it off. Taste the risotto now and adjust seasoning as needed. Between the bacon, chicken stock, and parmesan I didn't need any salt. This is a personal preference of course, so adjust as needed. For serving, top with crispy bacon. I also sprinkled with a little more parmesan, black pepper and pepitas. This is best the day of, but also really great as a leftover. Make sure and store in the fridge in an airtight container. It is good for up to 4-5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or cooktop. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!