Simple Corn Chowder with Sundried Tomatoes
This delicious chowder is perfect, quick to make and delicious!!
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions We like a chunky soups, so my onions are always chopped a little bigger. If you prefer, chop smaller!
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chunked potatoes I love using gold potatoes in soup. They are so creamy and perfect!
- 5 cups corn I used frozen as we out of our corn season. If you have fresh, it is awesome. You can also used canned if you prefer
- ½ cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 5-6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt This will be adjusted at the end as needed
- ¾ cup heavy cream you can use evaporated milk if you prefer a lighter dairy product. Coconut milk is a great vegan and dairy free option as well.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese plus more for topping
Make sure and read instructions through before starting the recipe. Heat pan over medium heat. Once it is hot, add in your olive oil. Give it about 30 seconds and add in your onions, celery and carrots. Saute, mixing occasionally for about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and mix another 30 seconds. Next comes the potatoes, corn, sundried tomatoes, seasonings and stock. Mix well. Allow to boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Mine took about 15 minutes after boiling. Add parmesan and mix in. In a small bowl, mix the cream and cornstarch. I like to do this with a whisk to make sure it is mixed in well. Slowly pour the slurry (cream and cornstarch solution) into the pan while mixing carefully. Allow to cook for about 1 minute and remove from heat. Taste the soup and adjust seasonings as needed. That's it. The soup is done!! I told you, it is so simple. I like to top mine with extra parm, a little bit more sundried tomatoes and a good sprinkle of freshly ground pepper. You are free to top if and how you choose!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!!