Southwestern Vegetable Soup with Pumpkin and Lentils
This vegetable salad is loaded with goodness. It is simple to make and so healthy for you!!
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery I used a large size on mine, but if you prefer a smaller dice, do that
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained
- 2 15 ounce cans rotel
- 1 cup dried red lentils You really can use any lentil you have on hand.
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt You may need to add more after the soup has cooked and reduced. Don't add it until the end though. Also, if you stock is pretty salty, reduce this salt to ½ teaspoon.
- 1 cup chopped cilantro plus extra for topping
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Once it has heated, add celery and onions. Saute for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender. Add in garlic and cook another minute. Add in remaining ingredients and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 25-35 minutes. Now, depending on the actual temp of your cooktop, you may be running hotter than mine. If this is the case, you might need to add in more water at some point. If this happens, add in 2 cups and continue to cook until the veggies and lentils are tender. After the soup has cooked, test for seasoning. If you need to add more. You can serve this soup just like it is. You can top with cilantro, grated cheese, red onions, sour cream, or whatever you are into. We also served our soup with charred tortillas. If you aren't into this, you can always do bread or crackers. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!!