Creamy Wild Rice Casserole with Mushrooms
This creamy and delicious side dish is perfect for any get together or even a meal.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 ½-3 cups cooked wild rice I cook it with 1 cup wild rice and 3 ½ cup vegetable stock for 30 minutes on medium. Bring the stock to a boil, then add the rice. Reduce heat and cook covered.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms I used a portabello and baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¾ cup vegetable stock you could also use chicken or beef if you prefer.
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 cups roughly chopped kale
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 ½ cups grate gruyere Divide this. 1 cup is used mixed in, the other ½ cup is for topping.
- ½ teaspoon frshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
Make sure to have all your ingredients ready to go befreo starting. It is also important to read through the instructions carefully before beginning. Instrictions for prepping the dish in advance are at the bottom. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large saucepan, bring heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add your onions to the oil and cook, stirring occasionally for about 2-3 minutes. To the onions and olive oil add in your mushrooms and garlic. Allow them to cook, stirring occasionally for about 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms have softened. Now, sprinkle your flour over the top. Continue to mix, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Pour in your stock and mix well. Next in is your remaining ingredients. Remember to only add in 1 cup of your gruyere cheese. Mix them well and taste. Adjust salt and pepper. Pour the casserole mix into your baking dish. Top with the remaining ½ cup grated gruyere. Place in oven and bake about 10-15 minutes. The dish is cooked all the way through, it just needs to be heated together. Once the cheese is melted and the dish is bubbly, it is ready to go!!Now, if you want to prep this dish in advance, it is very simple. Make the dish as above. When you finish assembling the dish, pour it into your baking dish. At this point, wrap with saran wrap or foil and place in the fridge. The dish can be made up to 2 days in advance. On the day of baking, preheat the oven. Add the casserole and bake until the cheese is melted and the dish is bubbly all the way through. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!