Best Sausage and Farro Soup
If you are looking for a delicious, hearty soup this Best Sausage and Farro Soup is it. The soup is simple to make and loaded with veggies, whole grains, and sausage. You will love it!
Servings: 8 servings
- 16 ounce pork sausage
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup peeled and chopped carrots
- ¾ cup farro
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock You can also use water if you prefer, just make sure and season well
- 3 cups chopped yellow potatoes You can really use any type you want, but I love the Yukon gold varieties
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt be mindful of salt if your stock is salty. I would start with ½ teaspoon. After it has cooked for 20 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning
- 5-6 cups chopped kale
Heat a stockpot over medium heat. Add your ground sausage and cook for several minutes.
Then add in your onions, celery, carrots, and farro. Continue to cook for about another 3 minutes.
Sprinkle in your flour. Mix this well and cook another 2-3 minutes. This will cook out the flour taste.
Next, add in the stock, herbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and potatoes. Mix well and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about another 20-35 minutes. You will know it is done when the potatoes are tender and the farro is cooked.
About 5 minutes before it is done, add in your rough chop kale and cook 5 minutes.
- Farro might be a little hard to find or maybe you don't want to use it. You can use barley instead if you prefer, or even bulgur.
- The reason I use yellow potatoes is they hold their shape better when cooking. Russets are a mealy-type potato and break up pretty easily. If you can, I recommend yellow or red.
- Kale is a great leafy green, but another option to use would be spinach or turnip greens. Both are really good in this soup.
- If you are going to use this for meal prep or just to make it ahead of time, let me tell you what I do. Make the soup, cool, then store it in the fridge for up to 10 days. When you are ready, either microwave to reheat or reheat on the cooktop.