Cinnamon Spice Oatmeal Recipe
Are you looking for a healthy breakfast similar to those cinnamon spice oatmeal packets? Let me show you a better version!
- 2 cups water or milk I really like to use milk for mine as it gives it a creamier texture!
- 1 cup regular oats you can also use quick-cooking oats, but I prefer old fashioned.
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- maple syrup I use this for topping the oats after
- toppings of choice
Heat the milk in a medium-sized pan over medium heat until the milk comes to a boil. Add the spices, salt, chia seeds, and oats to the heated milk.
Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid is mostly cooked out and the oats are tender.
Remove from the heat and dish up. Top with your favorite toppings. I love to use maple syrup with some kind of nuts and dried fruit. Use whatever you like!
Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
- Let me give you a few tips for making the perfect oatmeal.
- The first one is to make sure you don't overcook the oatmeal or add in too much liquid, the oatmeal will just turn into a mushy mess. I like my oatmeal tender, but not mushy.
- Do not cook it on high heat unless you are committed to watching it and mixing constantly. I am never willing to do that, so I cook it on low heat.
- It is important to mix it occasionally. I have burned oatmeal more times than I care to admit, it happens quickly.
- If you want other topping suggestions for your oatmeal, let me help you out.
- I used pecans, but you could also use raw walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, etc. You can also mix in peanut butter or other nut butter you like.
- If you like seeds, you could go for pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds,
- There are also dried fruits- raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries would all make really tasty additions.
- Fresh fruit toppings are really good. I like to cut up fresh apples into cubes to top the oatmeal. They go perfectly with the warming spices.
- I used heavy cream and butter for mine, but if you are going for a lower-calorie bowl, omit these.