Skillet Chicken with Rice Black Beans and Chilis
This delicious one pot meal is the perfect weeknight meal and even for meal prep. This is easy to make, and budget friendly as well.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Course: Main Course
Keyword: black beans, chicken thigh, Dinner, green chili, rice
Author: Amy- A Red Spatula
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 cups rice I used a long grain white rice.
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 4 ounce green chilis you can use mild, medium, or hot.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
Heat olive oil in your pan over medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add the chicken thighs skin side down. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
Cook on one side, then turn and cook on the other side. Don't rush this process. It takes about 5-8 minutes on each side. You will want the skin to be golden brown before turning.
Remove and set on a plate. Add the rice to the pan and saute for several minutes until it is toasted. Then add in the black beans, chilis, chicken stock, and spices. Mix gently and add the chicken back in.
Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 2-25 minutes until the rice is tender. Remove the lid and mix. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. If your broth is not very salty, you will probably need to add more in. That is it! You are ready to go!
- I really like to get thighs with the skin on and bones in. The reason for this is there is a lot of flavor in the skin and bones. The rice will taste so much better if you do the same.
- If dark meat isn't your thing, you can also use chicken breasts. Just make sure your brown them well, as they are thicker and will take more time to cook than the chicken thighs will.
- Long grain white rice is what I used in this recipe, if you want to use brown rice, go for it! Just know the cooking time will be about 40 minutes.
- I used my enameled dutch oven for cooking this and felt like it was a perfect size. If you have another large pot you like to use, go for it!
- This dish makes really awesome meal prep. It reheats in the microwave really well. Take it to work and all your coworkers will be so jealous!