Spelt Flour Pancake Recipe
If you are looking for a healthier pancake recipe, you just found it. These are delicious and will quickly become a favorite in your house too.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Keyword: pancakes, spelt flour
Author: Amy- A Red Spatula
- 2 cups spelt flour if you like thicker pancakes, add an extra ⅓ cup of flour.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil or melted butter
Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the wet ingredients and mix well.
Add the 2 together and whisk until they are combined. With pancakes, remember you do not need to overmix the batter. In fact, small lumps in the batter are good.
Heat your griddle to 375 degrees. Once it is heated, brush with the butter and scoop on the pancakes. Let them start to bubble around the edges, then flip when they are golden brown.
Do the same on the other side, and finish cooking the rest of the pancakes.
That is it! You are done. Go enjoy those pancakes!
- There are a few things to note in this recipe. If you are new to whole grains, I would suggest you use half spelt flour and half all-purpose flour.
- If you like thicker pancakes, I make mine a little on the thin side, add in an extra ⅓ cup flour.
- With the pancake batter DO NOT MIX UNTIL IT IS perfectly smooth. This will make the pancakes tough. I like to leave small lumps in mine.
- Make sure your griddle is hot before adding the pancakes. If not, they will start to stick to the griddle and make a mess.
- For the toppings, let me share a few ideas. You can keep it simple as I did, butter and maple syrup.
- You can also top with your favorite nut butter and leave it like that, high protein. Or you can use your sweetener of choice, honey, maple syrup, etc.
- Or how about topping with fresh fruits? Bananas, berries, or even sweetened apples are delicious.
- Nuts and seeds are other great options. They will add nutritional value and add flavor as well. They can also be mixed right into your batter.
- Or if you want something a little less healthy, Nutella is really good on the pancakes.