Zucchini and Cheese Buttermilk Bread
This savory bread is so delicious, flavorful and quick to make. Try it and you will be hooked!
Servings: 10 servings
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour you can also use a all purpose flour or even a gluten free flour mix.
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk I used powdered buttermilk, but use fresh if you prefer.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated cheese I used Gruyere, but you could use cheddar or even pepper jack if you prefer.
- 1 cup zucchini, grated and squeezed.
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- ⅓ cup oil or melted butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Prepare pan. I used am 8x4 ½, but you could also use muffin tins if you prefer. I used spray, but you could also butter them. Make sure and grate the zucchini and squeeze the excess liquid before mixing.Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.In another larger bowl, mix egg, oil and buttermilk. Add to this the zucchini, cheese, minced garlic and green onions. Combine wet and dry, being careful not to over mix. Pour into pan.Bake until toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. You want it to continue baking even once it's removed. When baking with wheat flour, if you bake it all the way to begin with, you run the risk of over baking and drying out the bread.Remove from pan within a few minutes. You don't want it to sweat, it gives it the soggy bottom, gross.Allow to cool slightly, then slice.