Parmesan and Herb Rolls
These flavorful rolls will make the perfect addition to your next meal. Plus, your house will smell AMAZING!
- 1 cup warm milk about 100 degrees. This should feel slightly warm to the touch
- 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oregano you can use fresh if you have it available, I used dry.
- 1 tablespoon basil same as above.
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup parmesan
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder you can use fresh minced garlic if you prefer.
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour I used a hard white wheat.
- 2-3 ½ cups all purpose flour This is a variable. You may need more.
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons milk for egg wash
Active yeast in warm milk. To do this, add yeast to warm milk and mix lightly. Let this sit for several minutes until the yeast starts to "bubble" and get frothy. Next, add all ingredients to the stand mixer. Start with only 2 cups of all-purpose flour. Mix on medium speed for about a minute. Check your dough. If it is really sticky, add another ½ cup flour, and repeat the process. Remember though, you want your dough to be slightly tacky (sticky). Whole grain breads absorb a lot of moisture. Cover bowl and allow dough to rise until doubled. Mine took about 40 minutes. This will vary depending on how warm your dough is and how warm the environment is.Once it is risen, form how you choose. There are plenty of variations to choose from. If you prefer, bake it into a loaf too. I love this as a braided bread. Cover and allow to rise again until doubled. I have a proof setting on my oven, if you do as well, use this. While it is rising, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush with an egg wash. I make my egg wash with one egg and 2 tablespoons milk, mixed well.Bake until tops are golden brown. Next, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!!