Sausage Cornbread Dressing
Call it dressing or cornbread, your choice. Whatever you decide to call it, it's amazing.
Servings: 20 servings
- 8-10 cups cornbread, crumbled make sure and leave this in large pieces. It will break apart while you are mixing.
- 16 ounce ground sausage We love Jimmy Dean's hot sausage.
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sage, fresh or dried
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste I used about 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper this is optional, we like everything a little spicy. If you aren't into spice, leave this out.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Cook sausage in saucepan over medium heat. Add in celery and onions, continue to cook another 3-5 minutes. Add all ingredients to large bowl and mix lightly, but well enough to combine. I do this with a rubber spatula in order to not break up the cornbread more than needed. Spray or butter a 9x13 pan. Pour dressing into pan. If you like, you can also add more melted butter on top. I used to do this, but cut it out where possible now :).Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown.This is best served immediately, although I do love it as a leftover too. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!