Simple Vegetable Stock
I love to use this stock as a base for soups and sauces. It is also great to flavor rice and other grains.
Servings: 8 servings
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups onions, rough chop
- 1 1/2 cups celery, rough chop
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, rough chop If you are using baby carrots, throw the whole carrot in.
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt This can be adjusted after the stock is finished. I like to make the stock with some salt to get enhance flavors.
Add all ingredients to stock pot. Bring to a bowl over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer at least an hour. Depending on how hot your cooktop cooks, you may need to add a little more water. You want the stock to reduce, means plenty of the liquid will evaporate while cooking. This will leave rings around the edges of your pan when the level has gone down. Strain out veggies. I generally throw them away as they have turned to mush at this point. Taste your stock and add salt and pepper as desired.