Vegetable barley soup
This healthy, flavorful soup is the perfect winter meal.
Servings: 10 servings
- 2 cups chopped onions size of dice will be determined by whether or not you want to see the onions. If you don't want to see them, do a small dice. If you don't care, medium dice is great.
- 11/2 cups chopped celery medium dice
- 1 ½ cups chopped carrots medium dice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 cups water or veggie stock I used water, but if you feel like you will need more flavor, use veggie stock.
- 1 ½ cups pearl barley
- 4-6 cups mixed veggies of choice I used zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, spinach and bell peppers.
- 15 ounce can of white beans you could use more beans if you choose, or even another bean if you prefer. I am telling you, everything in this recipe is a variable!
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat olive oil in large stockpot or enameled cast iron like I used, over medium heat. Add vegetables and stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes until veggies start to soften. Garlic is next. Cook this for about 2-3 minutes. Garlic burns quickly, so no need to saute for very long. Next, add in your water and bring to a rolling boil. Add barley and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining veggies, beans and spices. Continue to cook until all veggies are al dente, meaning they are cooked, but definitely not mushy. I like to top mine with a little parmesan. This is up to you though, it's not necessary!