This Indian flatbread is absolutely worth the effort. It is healthy, loaded with spinach, whole wheat flour and spices.This recipe comes from an Instagram friend of mine named Archana. She is a lovely person and amazing creator of all things Indian food.
Servings: 10 servings
- 2 cups whole wheat flour plus more for rolling. Also, I use a kamut wheat flour for mine. It was amazing.
- ¾-1 cup spinach puree I made mine in the food processor and it took about 6 cups to make a little under a cup.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds I didn't have these, so I used ground cumin,
- 2 teaspoons oil I used olive oil
- ½ cup water Archana suggested ¼ cup water. Both times I made it I needed more water. So, be mindful, this will be a variable.
Pulse garlic with spinach in blender or food processor to get a puree. Now, at this point, you can either knead by hand or by stand mixer, which is what I did. Add all ingredients to the mixer and mix on medium speed for about 3-4 minutes. If you are kneading by hand, Archana gives instructions like this:Add spinach puree to flour, add carom seeds (or cumin), salt and mix. Slowly add water and start mixing and kneading dough. You may need more or less depending on water content of spinach puree. Knead to a soft dough, then add oil and knead again. Regardless of mixing method, allow the dough to rest for 30- 45 minutes. Divide dough into 10 pieces. Dip each piece in flour and roll in a round, thin piece, like a tortilla. Place on an oiled, heated hot skillet. Once you see bubbles form, flip to the other side. It should take about 30 seconds per side. Next, move to an open flame and make it puff. Brush with melted butter or ghee. Serve it hot!