Healthy Chocolate Coconut Balls
Are you looking for a healthy way to enjoy coconut desserts? These chocolate coconut balls with rich, dark chocolate, crunchy cacao nibs, peanut butter, and shredded coconut are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Total Time15 minutes mins
Keyword: chocolate coconut balls, coconut balls recipe, coconut bites
Servings: 36 bites
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup regular oats
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa I love Hersheys special dark!
- ¾ cup peanut butter or any nut butter of choice
- 1 cup unsweetened shaved coconut
- ½ cup maple syrup you can also use honey or any other liquid sweetener you prefer. This is also a variable. I like my bites a little more dry, less mess. If you prefer a little more sticky bite, add more sweetener.
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½-¾ cup cocao nibs or chocolate chips I love the cocao nibs, but if you prefer, use chocolate chips.
Add all ingredients to food processor, except nibs or chips. Pulse until all are combined and oats are thoroughly broken up. Mine took several minutes and I had to scrape down the food processor several times. Also, this is a fairly big batch, if it is too much for your food processor or blender, process in half batch.
I like to add in the nibs last as I don't want them broken up as much. So, add them in last. Pulse several times, just to lightly mix.
Scoop with a portion scoop or just a spoon. I like the portion scoop as it keeps everything consistent and the same size. Then I roll mine into round balls. You don't have to do this step, but I am slightly anal about the way things look, so I always do. :)
Refrigerate to set bites. Store in airtight containers. You can leave these at room temp if you prefer. This batch lasts me a week, so I prefer to store in the fridge.
Now, sit back and enjoy.You deserve it!!
- For a chunkier texture, add the cacao nibs at the end and pulse to combine just a few times to avoid overprocessing.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to evenly measure out the mixture to shape it into balls.
- Adjust the amount of maple syrup to your own tastes.