Lentil and Spinach Soup
This hearty vegetarian soup is perfect for meal prep or even just a fairly quick dinner.
Servings: 10 servings
- 12 cups water or vegetable stock You might need more than this. Amount will depend on how quickly it reduces and boils out.
- 1-1.5 pounds lentils
- 1-2 teaspoon ground red pepper this is a variable, or you can omit it all together. We love things a little spicy, so we add it in.
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups cubed potatoes I cut mine into cubes about 1 inch. If you prefer your's larger or smaller, but that size.
- 1 cup onion, diced I cut these to a medium dice. If your family isn't into onions, cut it to a fine dice.
- 1.5 cup carrots, medium dice
- 6 cups spinach, rough chop This is a variable, if you want more or less, change the amount. I also do a rough chop as my youngest son really isn't into spinach. As long as I keep it smaller, he can handle it.
- salt and pepper to taste
Add water or stock, lentils, bay leaves, garlic, and thyme to stock pot. Heat on high until it comes to a full rolling boil.I like to put a lid on the pot for several minutes to get it to hear faster. Reduce heat to medium high and cook about 20 minutes. If you need to add more water, add it. Everyone's medium and high are different temps, as are the thickness of our pots. This will all contribute to how quickly the liquid boils out.Next is the potatoes, celery onions and carrots. Continue to boil on medium high until veggies are tender. Now, at this point, add in your salt and pepper to taste. Last step is the spinach. This cooks in just a few minutes, so I add it last.We served our soup piping hot and topped with parmesan. It was so good. Leftovers will need to be cooled, then stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!