Asparagus and Parmesan Risotto
This tasty, light version of risotto is delish. It will have everyone screaming for more!
Servings: 4 servings
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onions, small dice
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups asparagus, chopped I love the large pieces, so I cut mine in about 3 inch long pieces. Make sure to cut off and discard tough ends!
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice This will be a personal preference, of course. I like a lot of lemon, so I always go with 2!
- 1 tablespoon parsley if you have fresh, that's great. If not, use dried like I did.
- ¼ cup parmesan Fresh grated is best, but use what you have!
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat stock over medium heat. Once it is boiling, reduce to low and hold it there while you are working.It needs to be hot when you add it in, so keep it on low. In another pot, make sure it is a heavy bottom, heat over medium heat. Add in olive oil to pan and heat for about 30 seconds. It will heat quickly. Add in onions and cook for 3-5 minutes, until tender and almost translucent. Add in rice and garlic. Continue to cook and stir for another couple minutes. Now, at this point, we will start slowly adding in the stock. Add in a ladle full of stock and stir. Continue to to stir until stock is absorbed. Add in another ladle full and continue cooking and stirring until The rice is creamy and tender. You don't want it to be mushy, just tender. Add asparagus with the last ladle full of stock. Cook it for about 3-5 minutes. It isn't a long cooking time as you will not want the asparagus to be limp, just lightly cooked. Mine took about 25 minutes to cook, I have found about 25-35 minutes has been about right. Next, add in the lemon juice, parmesan and parsley. Stir carefully to combine. I only say stir carefully as you don't want to break up the asparagus. Once the last ingredients are mixed in, add salt and pepper to taste. We like quite a bit of both, so I am generous. Once it is finished, remove from heat. It is best served immediately. If you have leftovers, it does reheat well too. Just know the asparagus will be soggy. The flavor is still awesome though!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!