Chocolate Orange Bites
These delicious bites are simple to make and totally healthy!
Servings: 18 bites
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 cup almonds I prefer whole almonds, but when I was making these, I only had about 1/2 cup whole. I threw in sliced almonds for the other 1/2 cup.
- 1-2 tablespoons orange zest I like a fairly strong orange flavor, so I used 2.
- Fresh squeezed orange juice. Use this for the consistency you are going for. You want it to be a little sticky, but not too sticky. I used about 1 tablespoon.
- sliced almonds, optional these are for topping. If you don't care about that, then don't use them.
- sea salt or salt flakes I like a little salty undertone, so I used a little sprinkle on each one. If you aren't into the salt, don't use it!
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I love Hershey's Special Dark for this.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Add dates and nuts to food processor. Pulse them first for about 20-30 seconds. I like to break them up first before adding in other ingredients. Next add in remaining ingredients, minus the toppings. Pules until well combined. It didn't take me long, maybe 30-45 seconds. Now, scoop balls onto baking sheet. I like to roll mine into round balls. If you don't care, skip this step. The dough will be a little sticky. If that bothers you, wet your hands just a touch. Once they are rolled, if you are topping, place a sliced almond on top and a little sprinkle of salt. If it won't stick, wet the ball just a little bit on top, the almond will stick to this. To store, I refrigerate the balls for at least 30 minutes. Once they are slightly hardened, store in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Now, sit back and enjoy this goodness. You deserve it!