Walnut Pound Cake with Fresh Figs
The dense, rich cake is studded with walnuts, then topped with a cinnamon cream cheese and fresh figs.
Walnut Pound Cake
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup olive oil or other neutral oil
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all pupose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup chopped walnuts
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- milk I don't have a measurment here, use the amount of milk to get the consistency you are looking for.
- 4-5 figs cut in half or quarters
- ½ cup rough chop walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.I like to line my pans with parchment paper, for easy removal. I have a photo in the post that shows how I add in the paper. I also like to spray a little pan release spray on top. If you don't like to do this, simply grease with softened butter. Set pan aside. Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside. Add butter, oil and sugar to mixing bowl. Mix until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla and mix again to combine. Last add in your dry ingredinets and only mix to combine. Fold in your walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.Place pan in oven. Now, baking a pound cake is a little tricky. It is a really dense cake, so it bakes a little differently than the average cake. It will take quite awhile too, plan at least 45 minutes, but it could be up to an hour. This will depend on the thickness of the pan and actual heat in your oven. To check for doneness, I look for a few things. Don't check before 40 minutes are up. So, time is the first thing. Second, look to see if the cake is pulling away from the edges slightly. Third, check for color. The pound cake will be a deep golden brown, not a light golden brown as with other cakes. Last check with a toothpick. Insert the toothpick right into the center. It should come out with small crumbs, but not wet. Once it is done baking, remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow cake to cool about 7-10 minutes, then remove from pan. Continue to allow the cake to cool. I like to cool it almost completely before adding the icing.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Mix well to combine. Add in as much milk as needed for the consistency you are looking for. Once the cake has cooled, spread generously over the top. I realize this makes quite a bit of icing, but that is the way we like it :). If you are looking for something healthier, maybe cut this amount in hlaf!Now, top the iced cake with the prepared figs and chopped walnuts. Slice and enjoy. You certainly deserve it!
- I love to use whole wheat flour in all my bakes. I realize this is not a healthy recipe, but I do like to try and make them a little healthier. Using whole wheat flour for part of the flour required for this recipe is the perfect way to do this. Whole wheat pastry flour is a flour that is lower in protein is my favorite for cookies, cakes, and quick bread. If you have not had the chance to try it, you need to! Whole wheat flour is the perfect compliment to fall bakes like this one.
- Using a mix of oil and butter is also a recommendation of mine. I love to use the butter, as the flavor is irresistible, but the oil makes the cake so much more tender. Especially when you are using whole wheat flour.
- Last, when you are working with whole wheat flour, make sure not to overbake. Whole wheat flour absorbs more moisture than refined flour.