Spicy Texas Red Chili
This is a personalized version of the Texas red chili used in so many of the chili competitions. IT is flavorful adn totally spicy!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 pounds ground beef I also love to use a ground chuck
- 1 cup chopped onions we like a rough chop, as we like chunks in the chili. You can cut them to whatever size you prefer.
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers we like a rough chop, as we like chunks in the chili. You can cut them to whatever size you prefer.
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes you can also use 1 cup crushed or diced tomatoes if you prefer canned
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2-1 cup chili paste if you want to make your own, I have included the recipe on the post
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup masa or fine ground cornmeal
Cook ground beef, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and garlic over medium high heat until no pink remains in the ground beef. Stir in the chili paste ( I would start with about 1/2 cup to begin with), paprika, cumin and oregano. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Add water and about 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Let this simmer on medium until about half the liquid is gone. Mine took about 25 minutes to get to this point. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. I added more chili paste as it wasn't quite hot enough, but if you don't love that burning heat, lay off now. Now, masa or cornmeal is used as a thickener for chilis and is very popular down South. Add in your masa and stir. Continue to cook at least another 5 minutes to cook the masa and allow the chili to thicken.Serve the chili immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. You can also freeze the chili if you prefer. It can be held for up to 1-2 months in the frezzer. We love to serve ours with a good helping of grated cheese, onions, fresh tomatoes and corn chips. It is also amazing served over a baked potato. How about a chili dog? Yes, it is amazing there as well. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!