Chicken Thighs Smothered in Fig Balsamic Sauce
This chicken dinner is wonderful and loaded with flavors!
- 4-6 chicken thighs, boneless or bone in You can always use chicken breasts if you prefer
- ¼ cup olive oil divided. You will use 2 tablespoons for the sauce and 2 for browning the chicken.
- ¼ cup onions, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup fig preserves You can also make your own like I did in the post. You do this by cooking 1 cup quartered fresh figs, ½ cup water and ½ cup honey. Cook until the figs are tender, and the sauce thick. Pulse in a food processor until smooth.
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup balsamic You can add a little extra if you want. I really like the flavor of balsamic, so I will throw in an extra tablespoon or so.
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme if available, if not use dry.
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper adjust seasoning as needed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions, saute for 3-5 miinutes until softened. Add in fig preserves, honey, balsamic, Thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Now, heat a large oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. While it is heating, salt and pepper your chicken. Once it is heated, make sure it is good and hot, add in your chicken. Let it cook until it is golden brown on one side, then flip carefully. Cook again on the other side. Smother each piece of chicken generously with the fig sauce. Then place in oven.Bake until the chicken is about 175 degrees. It is wonderful served right away, but can also be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat as desired. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!