This simple to make Healthy Wild Rice Apple Salad is a salad you need this fall. It is loaded with so much goodness and all of it in season
Cooking Your Wild Rice
The first step in this salad is cooking the wild rice. It will need time to cook, plus cool a bit. So, let’s get it going! Also, as a note, this can easily be done the day before or several days before and stored in the fridge.
Now, wild rice is considered one of the healthiest rice varieties out there. Although truthfully it isn’t even rice, but rather an aquatic grass with an edible grain. It is one of only 2 native grains grown here in the US. Whatever is it, and whatever you call it, I love it! It is easily accessible in most major grocery stores. With that background, here we go! Start by bringing your lightly salted water to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and turn to low heat. Allow this to cook for about 35-45 minutes. You will want most of the grains split. Take off the lid and allow it to cool.
Prepping The Other Ingredients
While the wild rice is cooling, let’s start prepping everything else. I used gala apples, as they are a favorite in our house. If you prefer another variety, go for it. There are so many good ones out there! If you don’t plan on eating the salad right away, you will need to soak your apple chunks in diluted lemon water. I like to do 4 cups of water to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Let it soak for about 3-5 minutes. Then drain the apples and they are ready to go and won’t brown as quickly as when they are cut fresh.
Massaging The Kale
The only way I like kale is when it is massaged. It is so much better, to me anyway, massaged as opposed to right off the stem! It tenderizes the kale and cuts down the bitterness. Start by removing your kale from the stem. It can be cut off, or use your thumb and index finger to slide along the stem, the kale leaves will come right off. Cut into chunks. Then drizzle with a touch of olive oil, salt, and lemon juice. Gently massage into the kale for 30 seconds or so. It won’t take long.
Assembling The Healthy Wild Rice Apple Salad
Now it is time to put it all together! Everything should be ready to go at this point. I like to put everything into a big bowl and toss it. Aside from the kale, wild rice, and apples, I also added toasted pecans, pomegranate arils, celery, and pepitas. I drizzled with the apple cider vinaigrette and tossed it all.
If you are using this as a meal prep salad, don’t add in the dressing. I would wait until right before you plan on serving, then add and toss. If you add it too early, it gets soggy and the flavor isn’t as good!
How about some carb options to go with that salad? Yeah, I have a few to suggest!!
- How about a Parker House Roll? These are new to the blog and really popular.
- Or even these Garlic and Herb Rolls. I feel like they go well with just about everything!
- Maybe you want something quicker than that. What about this Sundried Tomato and Olive Scones?
- Are you looking for a sandwich to go with that salad? This BLAT is such a good sandwich and everyone loves it!!
Wild Rice and Apple salad
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 cups water
- dash salt
- 1-2 apples of choice, cut into chunks or slices. I love galas, so that is what I used here
- 2 cups kale
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2/3-3/4 cup pomegranate arils
- dressing of choice I listed 2 with this recipe, but use whatever you like!
- Heat water to boiling in a medium pan. Once it is boiling, add the salt and wild rice. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 40 minutes. You will know when it is done as most of the grains will pop open. Remove the lid and allow to cool.I like to massage my kale. If you don't care, skip this step. If you are, drizzle the kale with a touch of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. The massage for a minute or 2. Combine all your ingredients and mix well to blend it all. Drizzle with your favorite dressing. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!!This salad is also great for meal prep. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If you are storing it, don't add the dressing until you are ready to use it though, otherwise you wind up with soggy salad!!
Red Wine Poppyseed Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard if you prefer, you can always use 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppyseeds
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl or canning jar, like I do.Mix well. You can use it right away, or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Apple Cider Vinaigerette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon honey or sweetener of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl or jar. If you using a jar, shake to mix ( My preferred method). If using a small bowl, whisk to combine. Place and reserved dressing into the fridge in an airtight container. It will store well for about 3-5 days. It will actually hold longer than that, but the flavor just isn't the same. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!