If you love the creamy combo of pineapple and coconut in a good pina colada, this is the recipe for you! This Virgin Pina Colada Recipe will bring all the things you love about Pina Coladas together in a non-alcoholic version.
What Makes This Non-Alchoholic Drink So Good?
If you are like me and love the pineapple and coconut together, you are going to love this drink! This pina colada is cool, creamy, and totally delicious.
This tropical drink is really simple to make and takes hardly takes any effort at all.
The ease makes it perfect for serving just for yourself, or even making it for a crowd. Think about adding this drink to your menu plan for your next party.
What is Pina Colada?
It is a drink traditionally made with rum, cream of coconut, pineapple, and crushed ice. It means "strained coconut".
Pina Colada is the official drink of Puerto Rico and is treated with respect.
Who can drink this drink and not picture a beach and clear blue water?? Not me. It takes me back every time.
- Cream Of Coconut- Make sure this is cream of coconut, not coconut milk. There is a big noticable difference. I have found this in the drink section of my local grocery stores and in the Mexican food section. Look around for it.
- Frozen Pineapple- The frozen coconut and ice are what make this drink chilled and thick. Don't skip on this. I like to use my own pineapple and freeze it, but you can buy it if you prefer.
- Pineapple Juice- The combo of the pineapple chunks and pineapple juice is where you get maximum flavor.
- Ice- For the best pina colada, ice really is necessary. Make sure you have a good blender that will blend it well.
- Toasted Coconut- This is optional, but I love adding it to the top. Not only for decoration, but also for added flavor.
- Drink Umbrellas- are they necessary? I think drink umbrellas add a lot to tropical drinks, if you can, add them!
How To Make The Virgin Pina Colada
If you are freezing your own pineapple, start with that. I like to cut a few slices to use for decoration. The rest I cut into chunks for freezing.
Once it is frozen, the rest is easy. Throw everything into a blender and blend well. You don't want chunks in the drink, so I make sure everything is blended well.
It really is such a simple drink to make!
These drinks really are best served right away. Otherwise, the ice starts to melt and it just isn't as food. So, I recommend having everything ready and throwing it together at the last minute.
Top with your wedges of pineapple and your drink umbrellas.
Notes For Making Pina Coladas
I like to use my own pineapple for freezing. Sometimes frozen pineapple you buy doesn't have a good flavor like I am used to.
As noted above, don't use coconut milk. I promise it is not the same as cream of coconut, or coconut cream. It is a little harder to find and a little more expensive, but well worth it.
FAQ Pina Colada
Mix the base as I show in the recipe. Use half for your crew that doesn't want alcohol added. Then add in your rum and blend it for the others.
There are a lot of ways to change this recipe up a bit. The classic is awesome, but so are the other versions. How about swapping some of the pineapple out for mango? Or what about adding in some berries or even cherries? Throwing in bananas adds another flavor dimension as well. You can also add vanilla ice cream and make it a pina colada float. Yes, it is as good as it sounds!
I really don't think it stays good for more than 10 minutes. It still tastes good after that, but when the ice melts, it just gets kind of ugly.
Other Drink Ideas
- Strawberry mango agua fresca
- Pineapple strawberry agua fresca
- Vanilla pomegranate fizz
- Cranberry orange and vanilla mocktail
- Summertime virgin sangria
- Cherry limeade
- Watermelon Mocktail
- Blueberry Mojito mocktail
Virgin Pina Colada Recipe
- 1 15 ounce cream of coconut
- 2-3 cups frozen pineapple I love using fresh pineapple that I can into chunks and freeze.
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1-2 cups ice
- toasted coconut for topping
- Place all ingredients in the blender.
- Blend until it is smooth.
- Pour into your glasses and serve right away.
- I love to top it with pineapple wedges and a drink umbrella.
- That is it! Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!