Although I grew up in Alaska where seafood is readily available, halibut was always a little harder to come by. It is ALWAYS a treat. My parents are good enough to send me several filets a year and I am so grateful for that. This Blackened Halibut Bowl is one of the recipes I love to use the halibut in. We love a little spice in our house, so that is a no brainer. I also try to be mindful to get in our whole grains and veggies. This has a base of cilantro lime brown rice and tons of veggies.
Cilantro lime rice
So, start with the rice as it will take the longest to cook. I used a homemade veggie stock for the liquid. I will include that recipe below. Heat this in a medium sized pan.
I love using lime zest in the stock as it gives it so much flavor. Bring it all to a boil and add rice. Reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer until all liquid is absorbed.
Veggies for bowl
While your rice is cooking, start on the rest of your bowl. I love a lime marinated cabbage mix. The recipe is below as well. Chop you cabbage fairly fine. I generally use a green and purple cabbage, but use whatever you have on hand or prefer.
Slice it as thinly as your able, for me it wasn't too thin.
Squeeze lime juice over the cabbage. Add in chopped cilantro and set aside to marinate while you finish the bowl.
Next, prepare the blackening seasoning. This recipe is also below. It is a simple mix of dry spices. You can always buy a spice mix, but I promise this is so easy, you don't need to.
Cooking the halibut
Next, cut your halibut into even chunks. We were serving the 4 of us, so I cut it into 4 sections.
Sprinkle liberally with blacken seasoning. I like to do top, bottom and even get a bit on the sides. If you don't like things very spicy, just sprinkle the top. Place in the oven for a quick broil. Now, remember fish cooks really fast! You don't want to over do it. I see a lot of people really excited about their flaky fish, but quite often it is really over baked. So be mindful when you are broiling. It goes fast.
By this time, your rice should be done. I fluff it and test taste. Add in lime juice, and any salt and pepper you will need. Last is the cilantro. You can either chop it up or cut it with scissors like I did into the rice. Mix and fluff.
Assembling the blackened halibut bowl
Last is the assembly. I used the cilantro rice, black beans, slice bell pepper, tomatoes, marinated cabbage and the halibut.
This is a great meal for meal prep as everything can be made in advance.
I do NOT recommend reheating the halibut though. It just is not the same and always gets dried out.
Need some other ideas for simple bowls to make? Check this link and you will find many others!
Blackened Halibut Bowl
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cup long grain brown rice
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 halibut filet Choose one large enough for the number of people you are planning on feeding, or the number of meals you are making.
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2-4 teaspoons cayenne pepper This variable will depend on how spicy you like it.
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onions
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped jalapenos
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Heat stock in medium size stock pan over high heat until boiling.Add in rice, garlic and lime zest. Cover the pan, and turn heat to low. Allow the rice to simmer for about 25-30 minutes. Once all the liquid is absorbed, turn off heat and allow the rice to sit for about 5 minutes. Remove lid, add in lime juice and cilantro. Add in addition salt and pepper as needed.Fluff rice with a fork.This is best served right away, but can also be reheated easily. Simply add it to a microwaveable dish with a little water. Cover with a microwave safe plate and heat for 45 seconds to 1 minutes. Fluff and serve.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.Place halibut pieces on the baking sheet.Now, in small bowl combine all spices. Sprinkle each piece of halibut liberally with blackened seasoning. I like to do both sides, but that will be up to you.Now, drizzle all the pieces with the olive oil. Place in oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, depending on thickness of the halibut.This is best served immediately or right after it cools.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.
- Combine all ingredients, starting with ¼ cup lime juice. Taste. If you want more lime juice, salt or pepper, add more.Set aside and allow it to marinade at least 5 minutes, up to 5 hours.