Healthier Sprouted Grain Pecan Muffins. This healthier version of a bakery-style muffin is just what every one needs! It is light, tender, and a bit healthier than the original. You are going to love these!
Why Sprouted Grain?
Why would I use sprouted grain flour? Well, aside from it being a whole grain flour, and a healthier option, there are some other benefits of sprouted grain flours.
They generally have a milder flavor that most people like better.
Another awesome thing about sprouted grain flours is they are easier to digest. Some people who struggle with grain intolerances have found the sprouted grains so much easier to digest.
If you have always wanted to learn how to sprout grains at home, I created a guide just for you. This Sprouting Grains Post contains all my tips, tricks, and suggestions for home sprouts. You are going to love it!
Mixing The Healthier Sprouted Grain Pecan Muffins
Let’s start by mixing the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another. Mix both separately. I also like to add my sugars into a wet mixture, as shown below.
Combine the dry, wet, and chopped pecans. An important thing to know when using whole grain flours is not to overmix. This is vital to a tender baked good. So, mix with a rubber spatula, only to combine. Nothing more!
I wanted a big, tall bakery-style muffin, so I baked mine in a tulip liner. These were also filled above the muffin pan rim. I like to use the tulip liners as they allow you to bake a much bigger muffin than you normally would.
Baking The Healthier Sprouted Grain Pecan Muffins
Here is one trick to getting tall, bakery-style muffins. Bake them hot, to begin with. I started with 425 for 8 minutes, then reduced the temp to 350 degrees for the last 8-10. This created a beautiful “oven spring”, meaning a lot of lift in those muffins.
The Finished Muffins
Let me tell you, the smell of these muffins is incredible. You will not be able to resist! The texture and flavor of these muffins are on point! Grab a glass of milk, and sit back and relax. You deserve it!
Sprouted Grain Pecan Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup sprouted grain flour or other whole wheat flour I used a sprouted spelt. Make sure you spoon and measure. Meaning, spoon into your measuring cup, ensuring to break up the flour. It gets compacted in shipping and storing in grocery stores.
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil or other neutral oil of choice
- 3/4 cups brown sugar or other granulated sugar of choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you are using tulip liners, line 10 muffin inserts with liners. If you are not using the tulip liners, spray 14 muffin inserts to prepare.In a small bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, sprouted grain flour, baking powder, baking soda, and other seasonings. In a medium-size bowl, mix the butter, oil, brown sugar, eggs, sour cream, milk, and vanilla. Now, combine the wet and dry plus the chopped pecans. Mix them ONLY to combine. Do not overmix. Divide between the 10 muffins with the tulip liners if you are using them. If not, divide between the 14 muffins. Place in preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes, if you are using the tulip liners. If you are baking regular-sized muffins, bake for 5 minutes on 425. Reduce the heat and bake for another 8-10 minutes with the tulip liners. For the regular muffins, bake for another 6-8 minutes. With any type of whole grain baking, you will want to underbake just slightly, the whole grain flours absorb more liquid than refined flours. Remove from oven and allow to cool just a few minutes. Gently remove the muffins from the pan and move to a cooling rack. They are amazing straight out of the oven and hot, but are still really good cooled. If you are using them for meal prep, I prefer to freeze them. Then when you are ready to eat, simply heat in the microwave. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!