Simple Taco Tot Casserole. If I am being perfectly honest, I have not had a tater tot casserole since I was a little kid. Nothing against them, I just haven’t made one as an adult?? Not sure why, because I freaking love tots! They always remind me of Napoleon Dynamite. Have you seen this movie? If not, you should check it out!
Beauty In Simplicity
The beauty of this dish is just how simple it is! With only a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand, this dish will be ready in no time. This is a ground beef-based dish, if you aren’t a meat-eater, just use all black beans. Start by browning your beef. I used ground beef from some of my favorite ranchers- Bingham Beef. They ship nationwide!
Brown the beef and add in your black beans.
A lot of the flavor in this dish come from the enchilada sauce and salsa used. I told you, this is so simple!
Assembling The Simple Taco Tot Casserole
Now the meat is cooked, it is time to assemble. Place your seasoned meat and bean dish in a 9×13 dish. Sprinkle with a little pepper jack cheese. This is optional, but really good.
Next, line the top with tater tots. Don’t skimp here. Make sure those babies are close together.
The Finished Simple Taco Tot Casserole
Bake until it is hot and bubbly. This won’t take long as the filling is already hot and ready to go. It is a matter of just cooking the tots on top.
Top with your favorite taco toppings. I started with a good base of lettuce and red onions.
Tomatoes are a must. Well, for me anyway. I know it evokes some strong feeling in people who dislike tomatoes.
Last is olives, cilantro, and avocados. I added sour cream on the table for serving as well. Toppins are all based on preferences of course, so use what you like.
Using The Simple Taco Tot Casserole For Meal Prep
A really great thing about this casserole is it is perfect for meal prep. You can easily make this dish ahead of time. It holds well in the fridge for up to 4 days. Then cook when you are ready. You can also make this ahead of time and freeze. Then, bring to room temp and bake. If you are planning on freezing I would say don’t add in the cheese. I think it bakes a little weird after being frozen. That might just be me though?
- Summertime Sangria would pair perfectly with this dish!
- Or even a Cherry Limeade!
- Lemonade is also a really good option.
- Another lemonade variation? How about a Blueberry Lemonade?
Simple Taco Tot Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 5 15 ounce cans black beans or about 6 cups cooked
- 1 15 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup your favorite red salsa
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- salt Measurement based on taste. This will depend on how salty your enchilada sauce is.
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 4-6 cups tater tots of choice
- toppings of choice I used lettuce, red onions, olives, cilantro, tomatoes, avocados, and sour cream. This is a personal preference.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.Cook ground beef in a good-sized skillet. Once it is cooked, add in your black beans, enchilada sauce, salsa, and seasonings. Add in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until it is hot. Taste for saltiness. Add more as needed. Pour mixture into a 9×13 pan. Top with your grated cheese, then line with your tater tots. Bake for 10-15 minutes. The tots should be golden brown and the mixture under bubbly. Remove from oven and top with toppings. Serve immediately.Now, if you are using this for meal prep. Cook your filling then allow to cool. Once it is cooled, wrap and place in the fridge for 4-6 days. Top with the tots before baking. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!