Perfect Blueberry Lemonade. Do you love crafting your own drinks? Summer is the perfect time to try them out. Let me share with you one of my favorite drinks for a hot summer day- Blueberry Lemonde. It is cool, it is refreshing, and it is totally delicious.
This recipe makes a blueberry reduction, which is then added to a my Perfect lemonade recipe. The combo of the 2 is irresistible. Both can be made several days in advance, then enjoy them when you are ready.
Start by making your blueberry reduction. What is a reduction? To put it simply, a thickened, reduced sauce. These come in many forms, but for this one I am using blueberry.
Start by adding the blueberries, water and sugar to pan. You don't need as much sugar as you might normally use because as this cooks, it will thicken and become sweeter. Cook this until the blueberries are softened and the sugar is dissolved. It is really important to use a thick bottom pan for this, as anything containing sugars can tend to burn when cooked. Thick bottom pans help to reduce these chances.
You don't have to strain the reduction, if you prefer chunks, skip this step. I wanted a smooth lemonade, so I strained mine.
After all the berries are added to the strainer, push the remaining berries into the strainer, you will want to get out all the juices possible.
Return the blueberry sauce to the pan and continue to cook until the blueberry sauce has thickened. Mine took about 7 minutes to thicken.
Now, allow to cool.
Once it is finished, all you do is add in a little of thickened blueberry reduction.
Assembling the perfect blueberry lemonade
I added in about 3 tablespoons, but this is entirely a personal preference. If you want less, add it. If you want more, add it.
Now, because it is thickened, mix well.
Want to try another drink? What about this Rhubarb Lemonade? Oh yes, it is just as perfect!
Simple and Perfect Lemonade
- sauce pan, strainer
- 1 cup water for simple syrup
- 1 cup granulated syrup
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Add water and sugar to a saucepan. It is best if this is a thick-bottomed saucepan. Turn heat to medium and mix well. Allow to heat until sugar is dissolved. Mine took about 5 minutes or so, this will depend on the temp of your cooktop. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove it from heat and allow it to cool. Once it has cooled slightly, we can beginAdd your simple syrup, lemon, juice, and 1 quart of water to a pitcher. Mix it well and taste. If you like, add in more water. This will depend on how strong your lemons are and what your tastes are like. last up is the ice. Can you drink lemonade without it iced down? Me either...Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve this!
Perfect Blueberry Lemonade
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup sugar you can use more if you want, but just remember, it will sweeten as it thickens
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 recipe perfect lemonade recipe included in post
- Add blueberries, water and sugar to saucepan. Turn on medium heat and mix to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. The blueberries should be softened and the sugar dissolved. Now, if you are like me and don't like the chunks, strain the berries. Press the blueberries through the strain, releasing all the liquid. Once all the liquid is pressed through, return the juice to the pan.Again, turn back on the heat to medium and continue to cook. You will want to stir occasionally as the sauce thickens. Mine took about 7 minutes to get to the thickness I was looking for. This will depend on the thickness of your pan, heat and amount of liquid. I like mine to get about the thickness of maple syrup.Now, remove from heat and allow to cool. You can use immediately, or store for later. As long as it is stored in an airtight container, it is good for at least 3-4 days. When you are ready to use, pour the lemonade first. Next, add in a few tablespoons of the blueberry reduction. Mix and test for flavor. I used about 3 tablespoons in mine, but it will be a personal preference. Now, sit back and enjoy. Pull up a chair on the front porch and enjoy summer as it should be.