Healthy Broccoli Cheese Bites. You are going to love these little bites! They are simple to put together. They are perfect for an appetizer, a side dish, or even a light meal. I have eaten them for all 3, and enjoyed them in every situation!
If you have never blanched broccoli before, let me give you the rundown. Maybe you are wondering why even waste the time? That's a legitimate question...my main reason is simply for color. Blanching produces the most beautiful bright green color that I love. So, here is how it works. Bring your water to a boil, add in the broccoli, cook for about 1-2 minutes, strain it out and add the broccoli into quickly to an ice bath. Leave it in the ice bath to cool for another couple of minutes, then drain. Simple!
Putting Together The Healthy Broccoli Cheese Bites
After the broccoli is blanched it is all easy. I pulsed the broccoli a few times in the food processor to break it up just a bit. If you like your broccoli in bigger chunks, you can skip this part. Then add in your eggs, cheese, panko, and seasonings. Mix well.
Roll into balls. Just note when you are rolling, press the balls together gently. They feel like they won't stay together, but after baking, they hold perfectly. Spray with a touch of olive oil and bake hot!
They will cook quickly, I just like to make sure they have a beautiful golden brown color.
The Finished Healthy Broccoli Cheese Bites
Here are the finished Healthy Broccoli Cheese Bites. They were so simple to put together and so delicious! I served ours with spicy sriracha mayo, but you can eat them just like they are if you prefer! If you have been nervous to try Sriracha, maybe you don't like spicy food? Let me tell you, this Sriracha mayo is a great place to start, it is much milder.
These Broccoli Bites are also great for meal prep. You can freeze them in an airtight bag or container for up to 2 weeks. Or they hold well in the fridge for up to 4 days, again in an airtight container.
Other Appetizer Ideas
If you are looking for other appetizer ideas, let me give you a few!
- This roasted butternut squash toasties is a simple, quick to make appetizer.
- I love these vegetable rounds also!
- Cucumber Rollups are so simple to make and totally delicious!
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Bites
- 4 cups broccoli florets blanched and
- ¾ cup panko
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blender, or large bowl. Mix well.Roll into balls about the same of 2 tablespoons. Press gently to form. Place on baking sheet and move to preheated oven.Bake for 10 minutes until they are a golden brown. They are delicious served hot and dipped in sriracha mayo. They are also really good served cold. These bites are great for meal prep as well. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. If you would like, you can also store them in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 weeksWhen you are ready to heat, simply heat in the microwave or oven!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
- ½ cup mayo of choice
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce we actually prefer a 1:1 ration with the mayo. If you are a little unsure of how hot you can handle, the 2 tablespoons is a great place to start.
- pinch salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients. Taste. Adjust as needed. This can be made and stored for up to 5 days in an air tight container in the fridge. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!