Healthy Broccoli Cheese Bites. You are going to love these little bites! They are simple to put together. They are perfect for an appetizer, a side dish, or even a light meal. I have eaten them for all 3, and enjoyed them in every situation!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- A healthy, yet delicious snack.
- Kid-friendly appetizer. You may find it difficult to get kids to eat veggies but combine them with cheese and they transform into something irresistible.
- A simple recipe is made with wholesome, easy ingredients.
All you need are a handful of ingredients to prepare these easy broccoli cheese bites.
- Broccoli: I suggest using fresh broccoli for the best results. While frozen broccoli seems like a simple substitute, it tends to contain a lot more water even after thawing. I find that it doesn't work that great in this preparation. I also find the broccoli is much brighter when you use fresh and blanch it.
- Panko: This crispy Japanese breadcrumb works perfectly to hold the bites together.
- Eggs: The eggs act like glue and hold the broccoli bites together.
- Cheddar cheese: Gives the broccoli bites great flavor.
- Salt, pepper, and garlic salt: These don't take much for seasoning, but don't leave these out.
- Change up the cheese: Choose cheeses with a nice flavor. Swiss cheese, Monterey jack, gouda, and Pepper jack cheeses would all work well.
- Mix up the veggies: You could do these with a mixture of cauliflower and broccoli but they will not be quite as vibrant in color.
- Make them spicy: Add some hot sauce or red chili flakes to give it a little bit of zip.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese Bites
Let’s look at the main steps that go into making these broccoli appetizers. All the details are in the recipe card.
- Blanch the broccoli. Bring your water to a boil and add the broccoli. Cook 1-2 minutes. Immediately drain the broccoli and add it immediately to an ice bath. Leave it in the ice bath to cool for another couple of minutes. Drain it again.
- Assemble the bites. Pulse the blanched broccoli florets a few times in the food processor to break them up just a bit more. Add in your eggs, cheese, panko, and seasonings, and mix everything.
- Roll into balls. Press the balls together gently. They feel like they won't stay together, but after baking, they hold perfectly.
- Bake the broccoli bites. Spray them with a touch of olive oil and bake in a hot oven. They will cook quickly, I just like to make sure they have a beautiful golden brown color.
How to Serve
Serve them up for snacks either warm or cold. This means they’re great to add to a lunch box or snack box.
Add a sauce. I love to add spicy sriracha mayo which you can make with a half cup of mayo or Greek yogurt and two tablespoons of Sriracha sauce. They would also go great with Habanero Ranch Sauce or Spicy Green Salsa.
Expert Tips and FAQs
Store leftover broccoli bites in the fridge for up to four days or in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Use fresh broccoli. Frozen might seem like a convenient swap but it’s not recommended.
Keep a close eye on them as they cook. They cook quickly and you don’t want to burn them.
Expert Tips and FAQs
If you have never blanched broccoli before, let me give you the rundown. Maybe you are wondering why even waste the time? That's a legitimate question...my main reason is simply for color. Blanching produces the most beautiful bright green color that I love.
Yes, you can! These broccoli cheese bites are perfect for meal prep. You can freeze them in an airtight bag or container for up to 2 weeks. Or they hold well in the fridge for up to 4 days, again in an airtight container.
Other Appetizer Ideas
If you are looking for other appetizer ideas, let me give you a few!
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Bites
- 4 cups broccoli florets blanched and
- ¾ cup panko
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blender, or large bowl. Mix well.
- Roll into balls about the same as 2 tablespoons. Press gently to form. Place on a baking sheet and move to preheated oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes until they are golden brown.
- They are deliciously served hot and dipped in sriracha mayo. They are also really good served cold. These bites are great for meal prep as well. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. If you would like, you can also store them in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks
- When you are ready to heat, simply heat it in the microwave or oven!
- Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!