Crispy Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad. This tasty and simple salad is perfect. It comes together quickly and is filled with delicious goodness. Once you try this, you are going to be hooked!
Guide To Sprouting Whole Grains
If you would like a full guide to sprouting whole grains, check out this complete article on everything you need to know about sprouting!
Shaving The Brussel Sprouts
I was gifted my J.A. Henckel Chef knife over 20 years ago and it is still my favorite to use in the kitchen.
It is so important to have good kitchen tools. I am very budget-conscious, so I only make big purchases every few years.
Brussel sprouts aren’t just for the Fall, they are produced in the Spring as well, allowing them to be an ideal ingredient in our salad.
To shave Brussel Sprouts, simply cut off the end of the brussels sprouts and then peel back the older layers. After the outer layers have been removed, thinly slice or shave the Brussel sprouts.
Every good vinaigrette needs to start with good olive oil. I have been using Moire's life for a while and just love it. The quality is 100%. If you live on the East Coast, you can find it in Whole Foods, if not, they ship!
I think the lemon vinaigrette is the perfect addition to this salad. If you don't want to take the time to make the vinaigrette, there are plenty of great store-bought options as well.
If you have never tried Kamut, you need to change that. This is a wonderful whole grain that is gaining in popularity and for good reason. This recipe will showcase it in its sprouted form. One of my favorite ways to eat it. Here is a comprehensive post all about how to sprout kamut.
It is the perfect addition to not only salads but soups and stews as well. If you are interested in sprouting, I have a post all about sprouting whole grains.
Let’s talk texture. The gala apples add crunch while the sprouted grains add that nutty texture we talked about before. Dried fruit and nuts are the perfect contrast for the crispy, shaved brussels sprouts. The Gala Apples help add sweetness to the grains and greens.
You could also use my creamy apple cider dressing on this salad if you like. It is another favorite of mine.
If you love salads as much as I do, you may want to take a look at other options. I have so many on my website, so feel free to look around!
- This Berry and Nut Salad is recent and so delicious!
- My Carrot and Maple Dressing Salad has been hot for a while on the blog. You will love it!
- Spring Rolls are a family favorite. I know they aren't a salad, but it might as well be a salad wrapped in rice paper!
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- 4 cups shaved brussel sprouts
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup dried currants
- 2 cups chopped apples of choice
- 2 cups kale massaged
- 1 cup sprouted grains
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients for the salad. Mix well.
- In a small bowl or mason jar, combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle over the salad and mix well.
- If you are using this salad for meal prep, Only combine the brussel sprouts, wheat, currants, and pecans. Add your dressing and apples when you are ready to eat.