Simple Healthy Spring Rolls. In need of a new date night or family activity? Try out new cuisine and make these colorful and healthy spring rolls right in the comfort of your kitchen. This savory yet sweet recipe will entice your palate. Not only do these spring rolls taste delicious but are also super easy to assemble. No experience is necessary and this recipe is fun to make regardless of your age or culinary background.
Fillings For The Simple And Healthy Spring Rolls
The spring rolls are filled with nutritious ingredients such as carrots, spinach, red onions, and cucumbers. All of these vegetables have many health benefits, especially spinach and carrots which have grown to be considered superfoods.
This recipe is vegetarian but feel free to spice things up by adding in some extra protein. Chicken, shrimp, crabstick, and beef are all great additions to this spring roll recipe. I also used a sprouted Kamut Wheat for these spring rolls.
First, soak the rice paper in water for no more than one to two minutes in warm water. Rice paper or spring roll wrapping paper can be purchased at your local grocery store, Asian supermarket,s or online retailers, like Amazon or Cost Plus World Market.
Three Ladies is one of the most popular store-bought brands. Be sure not to overly drench the rice paper as it will continue to absorb moisture once the vegetables are added in.
Store any remaining rice paper in an airtight container in a cool, dry location for up to one week until ready to use again.
This recipe calls for a sprouted Kamut wheat, which is a fantastic source of protein, fiber, and Vitamin B. The sprouting process for this type of wheat takes about forty-eight hours or more, which is significantly longer than that of other varieties.
We purchased this whole grain from the brand Azure Standard, an online organic grocery store that specializes in bulk orders of natural and healthy food. This brand is definitely recommended if they are available to deliver in your area to guarantee fresh, easily accessible ingredients.
If you are looking for a complete guide to sprouting grains, I have just the post for you. This detailed guide will teach you everything you need to know to successfully sprout any whole grain!
Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Serve these spring rolls alongside this spicy peanut dipping sauce, which is so flavorful and packed with healthy nutrients.
This sauce incorporates ingredients such as peanut butter, chili sauce, coconut milk, and soy milk. Peanut butter provides a nutty, sweet, and salty flavor in this dish. It also provides a great source of protein and immune-boosting antioxidants.
The chili featured in this dipping sauce is a total game-changer. It elevates the flavor of this sauce to have a spicy kick with every bite that balances perfectly with the sweetness from the peanut butter and coconut milk.
Top with some leftover cilantro as a garnish and enjoy!
The Finished Simple and Healthy Spring Rolls
This savory dish is the perfect appetizer or light lunch.
For best results, try to serve and prepare this dish on the same day. These spring rolls can be stored in the refrigerator for about two to three days in a tightly sealed container.
Since this recipe tastes best when fresh, it may not be the best option for meal prep.
Maybe you need a great drink to go with these spring rolls? Let me give you a few suggestions of my favorite!
- This Cherry Limeade is awesome!
- Or how about a classic lemonade?
- We also really love blueberry lemonade!
Simple and Healthy Spring Rolls
- 10 rice paper wrappers I found these at my local grocery store
- 5 cups various veggies of choice I used grated carrots, sliced cucumber, red cabbage, red onions, and cilantro
- 1 1/2 cup sprouted grains I used a sprouted kamut for this one
- Start by soaking each paper individually for about 1-2 minutes on each side on a plate of warm water. Remove from the water and allow it to drip of for a few seconds. It may be a little stiff, but don't worry, it continues to soften while you are rolling.Lay it on your surface and spread about 1/2 cup veggies on the lower third, in the middle. Add in a few tablespoons sprouted grains and about a tablespoon of cilantro. Fold in the sides and start rolling from the bottom up. Try and roll the roll tightly so it will stay together. It will take a little practice, so don't stress. Serve with your peanut sauce. This is not a meal prep dish. They are certainly best eaten right away. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- Combine all ingredients by mixing with whisk or food processor.Sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!