If you are looking for a healthy vegetarian and vegan soup option, you have got to try this Easy Vegetarian Corn Chowder. It is so easy to make, it is done within about 20 minutes, which includes prep and cooking time!
What Makes This Corn Chowder So Good?
First of all, it uses the best produce summer has to offer. I used tons of fresh corn, zucchini, and so many others. It is the perfect blend of veggies.
It is simple to make. All you do is prep the veggies, boil for about 10-15 minutes, blend some up, add in the milk, and serve.
Not only is this a vegetarian chowder, but I also made it a dairy-free and vegan corn chowder as well. I resisted the urge to use heavy cream and went for coconut milk instead. The switch was well worth it, as it is such a great soup!
This soup works great for meal prep if there is any left! It is easy to reheat and still tastes just as delicious.
This corn chowder is spicy! I really love the combo of corn and spice, so I made it plentiful in this chowder. If you aren't into spicy, I also give recommendations to lower that level.
- Fresh Corn- you can also use frozen, I will discuss this below in the notes.
- Bell peppers
- Veggie Stock
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Coconut Milk
- Green Onions
- *you can also add in any other vegetables you want to add in.
Notes For Making The Easy Vegetarian Corn Chowder
Let's talk about corn. For this recipe, I love to use fresh sweet corn. In our area, it is in season from late July to August. I love fresh corn because that flavor is really hard to beat.
To prep the corn, shuck it. Meaning, peel back all the leaves and clean it up a bit. Then I like to stand it on end on my cutting board to cut it off. It is very simple and quick to do. Just work your way around the corn cob until it is all cut off.
If you want to make this recipe even easier, you can always use frozen corn. In that case, open up the bag and throw it in!!
You can use either vegetable stock or chicken stock for this recipe. I used vegetable stock as I am sticking with a vegetarian and vegan recipe, but just know chicken is an option.
I like to add coconut milk at the very end. This only needs to be heated, nothing more. If you want, evaporated milk or heavy cream is also an option.
How To Make The Vegetarian Chowder
- Heat oil over medium heat in your sauce pan.
- Add in onions, carrots, celery, and bell peppers. Cook for about 7 minutes.
- Add in remaining veggies, stock, and spices. Increase heat to high.
- Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Take about 2 cups and add it to a blender. Blend until smooth and add it back in.
- Stir in the coconut milk and adjust seasonings as needed.
- That is it! ready to serve. Top with sliced green onions.
I love my enameled cast iron dutch oven for soup making. It is thick and heavy. This means it holds and distributes heat well. Just what you need when making chowders and soups!
Simplest Way to Thicken Soup and Chowders
There are several ways to thicken a soup, but let me show you the easiest when you are working with starchy foods, like corn and potatoes.
Once the soup has cooked, in this case, just before you add in the coconut milk, take a few cups out and blend.
Then add the blended soup back into the soup. The released starches work to thicken your soup slightly.
Potato soups will really thicken this way, but with corn, it just thickens it a little, which is what I was looking for.
Variations For This Chowder.
There are a few ways you can mix up this chowder if you want. Let me share a few suggestions I can recommend.
I did not have potatoes in this recipe. I wanted it to cook quickly, but you can also add in some new or chop up red potatoes. It will take about 5-10 minutes longer to cook, but it is worth it if you love them!
I have my list of veggies I used in this recipe. Feel free to mix it up however you like it though! It is simple to add whatever you want. Just know your cooking times.
As noted above, you can also trade out evaporated milk or heavy cream for coconut milk.
Spicy Corn and Veggie Chowder
The finished Spicy Corn and Veggie Chowder is simple in appearance. I topped with a little more cayenne and paprika. They added some thinly sliced green onions. That is it.
I love how simple this chowder is and how unassuming. Like it knows its value lies in the freshness and seasonality of its ingredients.
Carb Options to Serve with the Chowder
What is a great soup without bread or rolls to go with it? Well, still good, but bread makes everything better! Here are a few suggestions:
Spicy corn and summer veggie chowder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups fresh corn
- 2 cups other mixed veggies I used broccoli and zucchini, but there are so many other veggies that would be really good as well!
- 4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup sliced green onions for topping
- Heat olive oil in thick bottom pan. Heat oven medium heat.Add onions, carrots, celery, and bell peppers. Saute for about 7 minutes. Add remaining veggies and garlic. Saute again for about 5 minutes. Next is the vegetable or chicken stock. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, and cook another 3-5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika. This soup does not need much seasoning as the veggies provide so much of it! Last, is the coconut milk. Add and heat.Now, to thicken the chowder slightly, place about 2-3 cups of the soup, mostly veggies in a food processor or blender. Pulse to puree, then add it back in to the chowder.
That corn chowder soup sounds absolutely delicious Amy. I'll give it a try as soon as my new kitchen is installed 😊
Thank you so much Nina. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen!