Pressure Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup. Are you looking for a quick soup that the whole family will love? I have one for you!
For this recipe, you will need some enchilada sauce. You can either buy it or make your own. I want to show you how simple it is to make your own. You can decide after you see how to make it whether or not it is something you want to tackle. If you aren’t into making it, skip the next few steps and open your can instead :).
It starts with a roux. This is a combo of oil and flour. For this recipe, also add chili powder. It cooks with the roux. I like to cook it for about 3-5 minutes. This will add flour, but you also need to cook out the flour taste.
Add in the crushed tomatoes, stock, seasonings.
Cook another few minutes. That’s it. It’s done. It took a little over 5 minutes total. That is it! Now, on to the soup.
Making The Pressure Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
You can use any pressure cooker you want, I recently bought this 6 Quart Instant Pot and LOVE it!!
Now, we start the soup. Chop onions.
You don’t have to cut chicken, but I didn’t feel like shredding it after. So, I needed to have it done before.
Place enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, stock, minced garlic, and spices in a pressure cooker.
Cook for 25 minutes. Allow the natural release for about 5 minutes, after that do the quick release.
Next, add in evaporated milk. Stir gently and it is ready to serve!
The Finished Pressure Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
We topped with our favorite cheese, Tillamook pepper jack, avocados, and red onions.
We also love to serve with corn tortillas or chips. You don’t have to use either, but we love it with them.
Are you looking for a few other pressure cooker recipes? Let me share some I love!
- I recently discovered Homemade Yogurt in the Instant Pot and can’t get enough!
- This Beef Stew is also a favorite!
- Have you ever had Osso Buco? It is so much simpler to make in the pressure cooker.
Chicken Enchilada Soup- Pressure cooker recipe
- 2-3 chicken breasts You can either chop these like I did, or leave them whole and shred at the end.
- 4 cups black beans You can either use canned or do your own in the pressure cooker.
- 1-2 cups corn
- 1 1/2-2 cups enchilada sauce see recipe below if you are wanting to make your own. Or, use your favorite canned variety.
- 1/2 onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper Depends on how spicy you like it. If you aren't into spicy food, omit the cayenne.
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups chicken or veggie stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- Add all ingredients to pressure cooker, except the evaporated milk. Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Do the natural release for about 5 minutes, then go ahead and CAREFULLY do the quick pressure release. Remove lid and unplug. Stir in evaporated milk, plate and serve immediately. We like to top ours with avocados, red onions and pepper jack cheese. We also love chips or charred tortillas with it. Now, sit back and you deserve it!!
Homemade red enchilada sauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to heavy bottom pan and heat over medium heat. Add flour and chili powder. Stir continuously for 3-5 minutes. Add in remaining ingredients. Checking the flavor before adding in the salt and pepper. Adjust as needed. Cook, stirring frequently, for another minute or until all is heated through.That's it, you are done. Double your batch and you will have plenty for your next recipe.