If you are looking for a simple, but healthy weeknight meal, I have just the recipe for you. This Chicken Sausage and Veggie Skillet with Brown Rice comes together in about 30 minutes and is so easy to make.
What Makes This Recipe So Good?
The combination of flavors is my favorite thing. There is something so good about all the seasonal veggies, spicy chicken sausage, and tender brown rice. It is also seasoned with za'atar seasoning, one of my favorites.
Next, this meal is really quick to make. The brown rice is leftover, so you don't need any time making this. Then the veggies and chicken sausage take no time to cook. This meal is easily done in 30 minutes.
Also, this is really healthy! The chicken sausage is a healthier version, there are a lot of seasonal veggies in there, and of course, brown rice.
Last, this makes a great meal prep. It is just as good reheated as it is fresh.
- Brown rice- I used a leftovers for mine. You can also buy the par boiled or precooked rice if you like.
- Seasonal veggies- I used bell pepper, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, and spinach.
- Chicken sausage- I used a Aidell's Spicy Mango and Jalapeno, but you can use whatever you like.
- Olive oil- it only takes a touch for sauteing veggies.
- Minced garlic- I pretty much cook everything with garlic in it.
- Za-atar seasoning- this is a Middle Eastern seasoning that goes perfectly with this dish.
- Salt and pepper- the seasoning is pretty simple, I like to let the food speak for itself.
How To Make The Brown Rice Skillet
- Start by prepping all your veggies. I cut most of mine in fairly small pieces so they would cook quickly. Another option, if you are short on time is to buy your veggies from the grocery store cut up. This saves a lot of time. Also, slice your chicken sausage.
- Next, heat your pan on medium heat. I used my Lodge enameled pan, but you can use whatever you like.
- When the pan is heated, add in the olive oil. Let this heat as well.
- To the pan, add in your chicken sausage, bell peppers, and onions. Saute these for about 5-7 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Next up is your zucchini, garlic, and yellow squash. Let this cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now, add in your spinach and tomatoes, seasonings, and let these cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Last is the brown rice. I like to save this for last because if you add it in too early it gets really mushy and make a mess. Mix this in, then put your lid on the pan. Let it is cook for a minute or 2. Mix gently and put the lid on again. Cook another few minutes. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- That is it!!
- I told you. This is really simple!
Health Benefits Of This Brown Rice and Veggie Skillet
Let's start with the brown rice. It is a fiber-rich food, like most whole grains. This is vital for digestive health. It is also heart-healthy, the fiber and magnesium contribute to this.
How about the seasonal vegetables? They are more nutrient-dense when eaten in season. Taste and quality are also so much better.
Olive Oil. The Mediterranean diet is really emphasizing the health benefits of good olive oil. It is heart-healthy. It has also been proven to lower stroke risks as well. Another cool thing is certain antioxidants in olive oil can actually lower inflammation.
Notes On Making The Chicken Sausage Skillet
The beauty of this dish is in its simplicity and ease. Don't overcook the veggies or this dish. It really should come together quickly.
As mentioned above, I love to add the brown rice in the last. If not, you wind up with a really mushy skillet as the brown rice releases all its starch and even breaks down if cooked too long.
Make sure you have a good, thick bottom pan to cook in. If you are cooking in a thin, cheap pan, this will easily burn. You don't have to use this enameled pan as I do, a thick stainless steel works, as does a cast iron.
FAQ Chicken Sausage and Veggie Skillet with Brown Rice
This will easily hold up to 7 days or even more.
I don't recommend it. The brown rice gets really mushy when it is thawed and reheated.
I like to reheat in the microwave or cooktop. It takes about 1 minute and 30 seconds in the microwave, depending on how much you are reheating at one time. If you are heating on the cooktop, I like to place it in the pan with about 1 tablespoon of water. Turn it to low/medium heat and cover with a lid. Cook, stirring occasionally until it is heated.
Other Whole Grain Meals
- Whole Grain Steak Bowl
- Pork Tenderloin Buddha Bowl
- Steak Bites with Emmer
- Spicy Shrimp Bowl
- Greek Meatball Buddah Bowl with farro
- Salmon Patty Bowl
- Gluten- Free Vegetarian Bowl
Chicken Sausages with Veggie Skillet and Brown Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package chicken sausage links, sliced Or sausage links of choice. I used a jalapeno mango
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- ¾ cup chopped bell peppers
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons za'atar seasoning mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Slice all your veggies and sausage.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add in your sliced sausages, onions, and bell peppers. Let them cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Next add in your zucchini, yellow squash, and garlic. Let this cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- To this add the spinach, tomatoes, za'atar, and 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Last in is the cooked brown rice. Mix this in, and put a lid on the pan. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid and mix gently. Cover and let it cook another few minutes. Once it is heated through, it is ready to go!
- That is it. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!