This is a such a great, flavorful meal. If you have precooked rice, it is even faster. If not, first step is to cook your rice.
Next up, start by chopping you veggies. You can add in whatever vegetables you choose, but I’ll show you what I used. I started red onion, zucchini and bell peppers, corn and tomatoes.
Okay, start by sauteing you veggies that are a little more crunchy. I started with my onions and peppers.
Next up, prep your sausages. I chopped them into 1/2 inch rounds.
I used a jalapeno and mango chicken sausage. It is so good!
Once the veggies have softened a bit, add in your zucchini.
Next up is the sausage. Now, let this cook for several minutes.
Last up, throw in the corn and tomatoes
Now, black beans and brown rice. I’m telling you, it has all the good stuff!
I add in a little water, but you can choose a chicken if you prefer. Let it cook down and reduce.
We served our’s with chips and avocados. You can even mix in cilantro if you choose.
Look at how amazing this looks.
Chicken Sausages with Veggie Skillet and Brown Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package chicken sausage links Or sausage links of choice. I used a jalapeno mango I bought at Costco, we love it!
- 3/4 cup chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder I LOVE Mexene, if you have it available to you.
- 1 teaspooon crushed red pepper if you don't like it spicy, reduce this or eliminate all together.
- 3/4 cup water You can use stock, if you prefer.
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Once heated, add onions and peppers. Saute for several minutes. Next is zucchini. Continue to cook for a few minutes. Add sausages and cook for 3-4 minutes. Next add in remaining ingredients, minus the water or stock. Mix well, and add in the liquid of choice. Let it cook about 7-10 minutes over medium heat. It will reduce and gain flavor. Serve this lovely skillet dinner how you choose. We love it with tortilla chips and avocados. This is also a great meal prep meal. It makes amazing leftovers! So, double up if you choose. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!