Do you love chocolate and peanut butter as much as I do? If so, these Simple Rocky Road Bars are the treat for you! They are simple to make and such a fun treat to serve!
Why You Need To Make These Rocky Road Bars
Well, the flavor of these bars is the best. I mean, you can hardly beat a chocolate peanut butter combo, right? Add it squishy marshmallows and rice crispies, and you not only have the perfect flavor but texture too!
They are incredibly simple to make. I know it takes some time to set up, but aside from that, these take under 10 minutes to put together.
These bars are a treat just about everyone can love. I know, I know, some people don't like marshmallows, but we cannot help that, right?
- Chocolate Chips- You can use any type you like, but dark chocolate is my favorite. Milk and semi-sweet are also good types.
- Peanut Butter- I used crunchy peanut butter, but you can use creamy if you prefer.
- Butter- This adds to the flavor, but also the texture as well.
- Mini Marshmallows- I mean, can it really be rocky road without them?
- Rice Crispies- I love the texture these add to the bars! You can leave them out, but I don't recommend it.
How To Make The Rocky Road Bars
Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Mix and microwave another 30 seconds, mixing between each one until the chocolate is almost melted.
I like to microwave until it is almost melted, then remove it from the microwave. Continue to mix until all the chocolate is melted.
Next, add your rice crispies and marshmallows into a medium-sized bowl. Pour the chocolate mixture over top. Mix well.
Pour the mixture into a parchment-lined baking sheet. You don't have to use parchment, but it makes it so much easier to remove.
Place in the fridge until it is set. Mine took about 2 hours to be hard enough to cut.
That is it! See, I told you this is the easiest no-bake dessert!!
Notes Rocky Road Bars
This is a really simple recipe, but let me share a few tips that will ensure you have success the first time.
Make sure the chocolate isn't too hot when you before you pour it over the marshmallows. You don't want them to melt.
This is why I recommended not melting the chocolate all the way. Stop microwaving when it is about 75% melted. Then remove and mix until it melts. This will keep it from being too hot.
Unless you are making these in the winter, it is probably best to keep these in the fridge except when you are serving. They will get really soft and pretty messy to eat if not.
I HIGHLY recommend using the parchment in the pan. These are pretty hard to remove without it. Trust me.
FAQ Rocky Road Bars
A really cool thing about this dessert is the bars will hold really well for at least a week. This makes them the perfect make-ahead treat.
I do not recommend it. When they thaw it turns pretty messy.
You can, and that is a fun variation. But, if you know me, dark chocolate is almost the only chocolate for me!
Other Chocolate Recipes
- These Dark Chocolate Rye Cookies are another chocolate/whole grain favorite of mine!
- A Dark Chocolate Cake Roll with Peppermint Filling is a great way to satisfy that chocolate craving.
- Maybe you are looking for just a little bit of dark chocolate? How about these Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cherries?
- Have you ever made Dried Fruits Dipped in Dark Chocolate?
- If you are looking for another Dark Chocolate Tart, this one topped with strawberries. I’ve got you
No Bake Rocky Road Squares
- Microwave safe bowl
- 8x8, or 9x9 pan
- 1 ¼ cups peanut butter I used chunky, but you can use whatever you like. Just know if you use the natural peanut butter it doesn't set up as well.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 ¾ cups chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cup rice crispy cereal
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Line an 8x8 or 9x9 pan with parchment paper. Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in microwaveable bowl. In another large bowl, combine the rice crispies with marshmallows.Start microwaving, the chocolate mix. I did 1 minute and 30 seconds first. Remove and mix. Continue to microwave in 30 second intervals, removing and mixing until smooth.Pour chocolate mixture over rice crispies. Mix well. Pour into prepared pan.Refrigerate for at least 3 hours until firm. Once it's firm, remove from pan and cut in desired shape. These were in squares, but bars work great as well. These don't hold well at room temp when it's hot, so just be mindful of that. They are better kept in the fridge if it is going to be too hot. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!