The best thing about these yummy chicken tostadas? The chicken is cooked in the pressure cooker and is ready within about 30 minutes or so, depending on how long you pressure takes to heat up and pressure. You can also double this recipe and use it for a simple meal prep idea.
Here's how to make these simple chicken tostadas
You can use any style of pressure cooker for this. All you need is the high pressure setting and saute. Start by adding all ingredients to the pressure cooker. Seal and cook on high for 12 minutes.
Here's what it looks like after the 12 minutes.
Break apart the chicken, and set your pressure cooker to saute. I like to reduce my sauce in the chicken. This will intensify the flavors and also thicken the sauce.
I continue to shred a little as the chicken cooks.
Here is what the chicken looked like after it had cooked on saute about 10 minutes. It is shredded, tender and so good! Sorry for the terrible photo, it turns out it is really hard to take a photo of a steamy pot of chicken!
Preparing tortillas for tostada
I love to broil cheese on my tortillas. You don't have to do this, you can simple char your tortillas. I think this is so much better though! I used cheddar cheese with a little cotija.
I don't put my tortillas up top when I am broiling. I like to leave them on the middle or bottom shelf. If you put them on the top shelf when it is broiling the cheese will broil, but the tortillas will still be really soft, you want them to be crispy.
Assembling the chicken tostadas
You can arrange these however you want and in whatever order you want, but here it what I did. I started with the cheddar covered tortillas, then added the chicken. Next up was the marinated cabbage, pico de gallo, jalapenos and a little sprinkle of cotija.
If you aren't into cotija, which is a salty Mexican cheese, use whatever cheese you prefer. Now, if you aren't into the marinated cabbage, just use lettuce. Want to skip the pico, simply add your favorite salsa
I use a pretty high ratio of veggies to meat. This is a personal preference of course.
I like to pick my tostadas up, so this was a little high for my taste...but it looks good for the photos...so....
It is hard to really tell what the tostada looks like, all the colors and textures make it kind of hard to tell, but let me just say, they were really good!
I actually ate 3, but we will pretend like this is my serving :).
Pressure cooker Mexican chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa This can be a salsa of choice. I had a homemade spicy salsa, that is what we love! You can use whatever salsa you like.
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder The variation in measurement will depend on how spicy you want your chicken to be. Most chili powders aren't too spicy, so we added 3 in ours.
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper This is optional, depending on your heat tolerance.
- salt and pepper to taste I add 2 teaspoons of salt to begin with, then add the rest after it has reduced, if needed. With the pepper I use about ½ teaspoon to start and add more at the end if I want.
- Add you chicken, salsa, water, garlic, and spices to pressure cooker. I only add 2 teaspoons to of salt to begin with. After it has cooked, you can add in more if needed. Secure lid on pressure cooker and set to high pressure, set time to 12 minutes. Make sure your pressure valve is closed, I really hate it when you go in to check on the pot only to find the valve was open and it hadn't started the pressure cook yet!!Once it has finished cooking, so the quick release. Just be careful here, that is a lot of steam released. Now, shred your chicken and turn the pressure cooker to saute. I love to have my sauce reduced, and to do this it needs to be set to saute and cook down. Depending on how hot your saute setting is, it should take between 5-15 minutes. Mix occasionally to ensure it doesn't burn on the bottom. How much sauce you leave is up to you. Now, taste the chicken and adjust seasoning as needed.This recipe is perfect for big batch cooking, so add in a few more breasts if wanted. Now, use this chicken however you want. Tacos, burritos, tostadas, nachos, bowl etc. It is good in all of them.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!